Peltier Beer Box Finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facinerous

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have just recently finished building a beer box as I call it, or as many would say trying to sound all fancy, a fermentation chamber. I wanted to create this little thread just to share my project with everyone, possibly give a few people some ideas, and to share my trials tribulations and afterthoughts.

Why a fermentation chamber. I happen to live in an area where the weather shifts roughly 60 to 80 degrees throughout the seasons of the year. I figure this is much like most of everyone else. Summers are consistently 100 degrees, and winters are consistently in the 40s. This makes it rough to be able to brew a beer and let it ferment out sitting happily between 65 to 72 degrees depending on what I may be doing. So a project blossomed in my head.

Building my beer box:

My intent was to build a container to fit 6 x 6 gal carboys, or bottled beer that is carbonating. Any assortment of the above.

I chose to use lumber as the structure material with spray insulation foam as a gap filler. The outside of the box is made of 1/2 in sandply, framed with 2x4 to make it quite sturdy, and once again 1/2 in sandply for the interior. I set the 2x4s longways for the framing requiring only 1 1/2 in gap to fill with the foam and setting the total wall width to 2 1/2 in.

A couple pics of the framing

framingBeginning.jpg

framing1.jpg

framingInsulation.jpg

framingFinished.jpg

The cooling:

Instead of going with the freezer box relying on a refrigeration system to do the cooling, and having to install a small heater to do the heating. I chose to go with a TEC peltier cooling device with aluminum heat sinks and fans. I can just feel a small amount of people cringe when they read that last line, but let me explain why.

First off I did not want to rely on compressors, freon, and the other junk that is involved with a standard freezer. Not that there would be any expected problems in the immediate, but when freezers break they usually “Break” rendering the entire cooler useless. Next is the simple fact that TEC devices can be used to both heat and cool a containers simply by reversing the polarity supplied to it. This eliminates an extra device from being installed in the freezer, or box. Last is scalability. You can easily size the heat sinks, and amount of TECs used relative to the size of the box to be cooled.

So the parts I used for the cooling and electrical:

Starting from the power source I used a Pyramid PSV300 power supply to get the 12 volts needed for the TEC and the fans. Important for this part is it needs to be a switching power supply because of the way I am going to be utilizing it.

I got a prebuilt TEC cooler from ebay which uses a 60 watt TEC with roughly 5 1/2 in aluminum heat sinks for about $35. I priced out the parts and this came at a great deal for what it is.

Two fans, either 80mm or 120mm would work well

One STC-1000 temperature controller, which is a great deal and provides all the function I need in a controller.

One single pull single throw relay using a 120v coil.

One double pull double throw relay also using a 120v coil.

One 12 port terminal strip

About 50 ft of black and 50 ft of white wire. Red would have been nice as well for the control wiring, but oh well on that one. I used solid wire, but stranded would have been nice specifically for the terminations to the temperature controller.

One 4s electrical box + cover plate

Two 1/2 in two screw connectors for cords and wire going into the 4s electrical box.

A handful of wire nuts.

A 1/2 in rigid nipple at 3 in for penetrating the wall of the box + two 1/2 in locknuts.

4 1/4 in width, 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 in L brackets to mount the power supply to the beer box. I had to bend the bracket about 1/4” in on one side to get a hold of the power supply.

A few pictures
beginningWiringInterior.jpg

wiringExterior.jpg

First off let me just proceed this with, I actually am an electrician. So when it comes to the electrical side of things I did know what I was doing. If you feel uncomfortable with any of the electrical side of things it would be a good idea to get a buddy or someone who knows what to do to help ya out on this part. I would hate for ya to have a bad connection somewhere and potentially a fire. Not to make you scared, but you gotta respect the electrons.

Wiring Diagram
beerBoxWiring.jpg

DBDT Relay Wiring
DPDTWiring.jpg

I hope the Wiring Diagram makes sense to you. I separated the colors of each type of wire to hopefully help you make sense of it. Black being the 120v hot, yellow the 120v neutral, blue being the 120v controlled side from the hot or cold from the temp controller, red is both the positive and negative 12v wires, and purple the controlled side from the Double Pull Double Throw relay to the TEC.

In order to bring 120v power into the 4s electrical box just cut the cord in half to the power supply. You will need to cut the cord anyway in order to get the circuit correct in switching the power supply from the temperature controller.

Use insulated butt splices in order to extend the leads from the 120mm fans and TEC device to the terminal strip.

At 2 and 1/2 in depth walls the back of the temperature controller almost comes out perfectly flush with the interior wall of the box, so you will need to wire this with leads first before mounting and installing. Also I would highly recommend checking for a complete working product before you use the mounting brackets to finish installing the temp controller as it was fairly difficult for me to get the brackets into place with the small holes I cut, and the brackets will catch the very first snap in slot at 1/2 depth.

Essentially what the DBDT relay does is switch the polarity to the TEC without causing a short on the 12v circuit.

What the SPST relay does is separate the 120v line between the heat and cool contacts on the temp controller. This makes it so the DBDT relay does not change state when either of the heat or cool contacts engage.

The only thing I think I could have done differently in this whole project is use 1 in foam board in between the 2x4 framing and the inner sandply. That would have created a bit of a better barrier from the elements.

Other than that I figure the cabinet should hold a 70 degree temperature when the weather is at 100 degrees. It may be running full time when that happens, but the cost of running the cabinet 24/7 is going to run less than a dollar a day. So I think its within my financial limitations.

The cool thing about the electrical side of this project is you can incorporate the design into any prebuilt cabinet you can find. Be it a big 5 sq ft cooler to the beer box that I built.

I hope you have enjoyed my rather lengthy description of the cabinet that I built. Its gonna keep my brewing going throughout the year and if you should endeavor in a project such as this I wish you the best of luck.
finishedInterior.jpg

finishedInterior1.jpg

Subscribed, I'd love to see how this works out! Seems like a pretty economical setup. How cool do you think you could get it to go?

Kosch

That's a nice fermentation chamber that you've built... but...

I very seriously doubt that you are going to be able to achieve a 30 degree drop in temperature with a 60 watt pelt. I'd rather not pull out the Heat & Mass book to run the equations... but my Mech. E. SWAG is that you would have more than 60 watts of heat coming into the chamber just from the temperature differential across the walls (let alone the heat coming off the fermenting beer). Now, at the very best, a pelt will "pump" as much heat (energy) from the cold side to the hot side as it consumes in doing that. If you have to move more than that (going back to the swag), you are working against yourself and putting energy back into the cold side.

I could very well be wrong... but, if I do turn out to be right, at least you have the box built, and you can move onto a much more efficient refrigeration setup with minimal hassle.

Great build but I agree with above. Peltiers are sooo inefficient. Either it's not going to cool it enough, or it will and will be running so much you'll burn it out. Either way, cool build.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm at work so my reply will be short.

The no insulation board was an afterthought. I felt it necessary to mention in the thread because in retrospect I would have incorporated it in the project if I were to do it again.

In response to Punx, I will give you a short reply later in the day when I have the time and as I think it will take a bit more than a phone to write it out.

I'm home now so I can actually type out a few more things.

First off, to Kosch. A TEC cooler can cool up to 30 degrees below ambient temperature. Can being the key word, and ambient temp is important because the ambient temp is the baseline by which the TEC cooler will work off of. I did find a phenomenal thread on this site today for ya. Explains a lot from a very knowledgeable person. I did an initial test with my cooler using just a 1 cu ft box. In 15 min the cooler brought the temp down from room temp (70 degrees) down to about 43 degrees. I don't think you would be able to lager anything using my setup if that was your question.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/peltier-guidance-379446/

Second to CoalCracker. I agree that peltier coolers are not the most efficient electrical devices you can buy. You would be surprised to see how inefficient some of the things we use everyday are though. If you drive a car you are basically using something that is incredibly inefficient. (In this regard electric motors are much more efficient, but are not the norm for transportation use) Thanks for the input though.

Last to Punx. I also agree with you that the cooler that I am currently using rated at 60w may be insufficient to keep the box cool then the temp is 100 degrees outside. On that note one of the reasons I listed for using a TEC cooled box is simply the scalability factor. The power supply is capable of 30 amps and running at 80% is 24 amps, or in the TEC world roughly 290 watts. If at any time I feel the desire to increase my cooling power I can increase the size of the cooling blocks, or just add another TEC. I could even stack two TECs back to back, or (hot cold/hot cold) to get an increased cooling factor.

The overall space in the box is 12 cu feet, but full of stuff such as 4 cases of beer and a 6 gal carboy such as the picture above. I figure there is about 2-3 cu feet of open air for the TEC to cool. With my brewing level, time, and ability to drink beer; I should never have more than two 6 gal carboys in its first week of fermentation in the box. That and the mass of the items are at 70 degrees now, and on a hot day that mass should want to stay at that temp such as some law of thermodynamics I read states. (Forget which law it was)

A 75 watt TEC costs roughly 10-15 dollars, and aluminum heat sinks are roughly the same. Still in the low cost area. Also if it were to run 24 hours it would use 1.4 kw hours of energy a day. That would cost me about 20 cents a day. I'm still feeling good.

I'm not writing this to be defensive of using a low wattage cooler, because I do agree with you Punx that my system may be lacking on cooling during high temp days. I did put some thought into it before I built though, and maybe I did something right. At the time I'm just not 100% sure. I bought a premade cooler and thats what I got so thats what I used. All in all it would be a simple one hour fix to increase my cooling capacity... Maybe two hours.

I'll post on this thread to any questions or anything more along these lines. Along with that if I have a temperature avalanche and how hot it was at the time.

Good times are afoot

Again, I could very well be wrong... seeing as MoreBeer sells TEC cooled conicals that use 40w pelts and are advertised to work up to 100*F ambient. My main concern is the HUGE sureface area compared to a 7 gallon conical (with neoprene insulation no less!). What you put inside of it will help flatten out any swings... but won't change the overall dT you can achieve. Again, your enemy in this setup is the huge area over which the dT is acting.

You are right though, adding more TEC's should be easy enough, especially with the power supply you have.

One clear advantage to a fridge system is noise though... I imagine that the fans for the heat sinks are considerably quieter than a compressor.

hmmm, a peltier cooler,,,,, nice.:ban:

Homebrewtalk DIY section is starting to look a little like extremoverclocking.com

I don't know the dimensions of your inside box so I just assumed 24"x36" and 24" tall. With a thermal conductivity of the foam of 0.018 BTU/hr ft² °F ft and neglecting the insulative value of the plywood I come up with a heat flux of 30 watts with a temperature differential of 30°F. We don't need SWAGs when it comes to heat transfer with all the chemical engineers running around HBT :) By the way, a very active fermentation can generate another 6 watts or so just through yeast metabolizing sugar.

I don't know the dimensions of your inside box so I just assumed 24"x36" and 24" tall. With a thermal conductivity of the foam of 0.018 BTU/hr ft² °F ft and neglecting the insulative value of the plywood I come up with a heat flux of 30 watts with a temperature differential of 30°F. We don't need SWAGs when it comes to heat transfer with all the chemical engineers running around HBT :) By the way, a very active fermentation can generate another 6 watts or so just through yeast metabolizing sugar.

Harder to guess at it... but don't forget the heat flux through the ground below the box. :p Regardless, actually taking the time to go through it beats out the SWAG.

It's been too long since I've actually done any engineering... sigh...

I hear you on the not getting to do real engineering for a living! The only time I really get to use my training is for my various mad scientist hobbies. At least selling out pays well!

My spreadsheet does take into account heat gain through all six surfaces. Again I do neglect the insulative value of the ground (which is clearly not non-zero) so this is a worst case scenario. It is a shame that we can't attach .xlsx documents without monkeying with the extension to make it "acceptable".

EDIT: Sweet, never done that before but I saved my spreadsheet as an XML spreadsheet. Seems to work fine on my side, hopefully the same is true for anyone who pulls it down.

View attachment Heating Cooling Load.xml

I removed the heat flux from the ground part by putting the box on casters, a part I left out in the origional post. Not that is literally removes it, but i would rather keep it off hot concrete or tile and just deal with the air constant. Im not an engineer and the values that ChemE put is super helpful for me, and your guess of the inside dimensions are spot on. Casters for less heat transfer and for ease of movement

I love the idea, and I want this to work for you.

I am skeptical though of how well that single TEC can handle the thermal mass of your intended "6x6g carboys". Or even 1 carboy.

One thing that scares me though is your exposed wiring in the chamber. Condensation has to form on your cooler, and it's right beside the terminal blocks.

Thanks for the warning. I thought about that also and I'm going to make a plexiglass shroud to cover ther wiring. Just haven't had the time.

Also I read that a 6 gal carboy generates about 30 watts of heat when its in its first few days of fermentation. Does that sound about right?

Are you documenting performance with a thermometer? I built a decorative cabinet to "hide" a carboy but I know little about your TEC layout. I think that could become a pretty damn pimpin base for a bar or something. I ve been trying to figure out how to make something like this but hide it in plain site.

Very nice concept peltiers. I modified my cigar humidor with the same type of setup. Proper sizing is critical and very unforgiving. However, there are some good software programs that make sense of it all for us laymen. I figured worse can scenario and multiplied by 1.5 times and I've been very happy with the results.

...I am skeptical though of how well that single TEC can handle the thermal mass of your intended "6x6g carboys". Or even 1 carboy...

It is true that 5 gallons of water has quite a thermal mass. One has to either add or remove 43,966 Joules of energy to change the temperature of five gallons of water 1°F. So let's use the worst case scenario, fermentation is over and you want to cold crash your beer down to 40°F starting at 68°F. Just assume for a moment that the peltier is actually designed such that it can perform down to that temperature. We would need to pull 28(43,966J) = 1,231,062J out of the system. At a rate of 30 watts that would take 41,035 seconds or 11.4 hours. Obviously a heck of a lot slower than phase change refrigeration but hey TANSTAAFL right? Still, I can wait 11.4 hours to get down to cold crashing temperatures. Now, of course the peltier would need to have 30 watts of reserve capacity beyond what the heat flux through the walls would be (which is 28 watts in a 68°F room and a 40°F ferm chamber with 2" foam walls and the OP's dimensions). I for one think there is enough information present in this thread or linked to design such a peltier cooler and I intend to take a stab at it later on this year.

Back