Swmbo - 0, me - 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoHotel

Reaction score
I thought I would be the first one to blow a bottle up due to fermentation. Oddly enough my wife beat me to the punch.

After 20 + batches, I have been very successful in controlling my bottle bombs. I have had exactly 0.

Mt wife's friend stops by with a mason jar of sourdough yeast starter. The directions said fill on Thursday with "x" amount of sugar, cap, and wait 12 hours. After 12 hours, pitch the yeast into the dough and cook into bread. Sounds easy enough...

She adds the exact amount of sugar and capped the mason jar. She followed the directions as they are written. She let it sit out for a few hours and went about her day.

As we were about to leave for a party, I notice the lid was a little bulgy. I questioned the wife. She said thst she read the directions and followed to a "t." As we leave, she calls her friend to ask her if we should degas it. She laughed and told her rdwahahb. "It will be fine," she says. SWMBO calls her mom, who is watching the kids, and reassures her that everything is fine.

Fast forward 6 hours: We are in the car returning from the party. The phone rings. SWMBO answers. It is her mom, calling and frantically yelling about how there's glass everywhere. We get back home to the smell of yeast and potatoes. The sourdough starter had exploded like a grenade in the kitchen, sending shards of glass shrapnel and potato chunks covered in sourdough yeast all over the bottom level of the kitchen. Thankfully the kids were sleeping upstairs when this happened.

We arrived home at 10:30. We stopped cleaning at 2 am. I couldn't help but throw in my digs about how I thought that my experiments in fermentation would have been the cause of some explosion, but she beat me to it. Needless to say, her sourdough hobby was abruptly cut short. I was the one who pulled the plug. I think I now have some bargaining chips when it comes to brewing decisions.

Did I just achieve status of HWMBO? Awesome!

I guess you grate a potato? I dunno. It was her thing. When grated and partially fermented potatoes dry on things, it is particularly hard to clean.

I think its for added starches? Who knows. It was a pint sized CO2 grenade. It blew a 3 inch chunk of mason jar glass 36 feet to the base of our tv. It had some major power! Glad everyone was upstairs!

Crazy. I use a quart mason jar to hold my starter too. I never tighten the lid though, especially just after feeding it. Those jars can hold a vacuum, but definitely not meant to withstand that much pressure.

who wrote those idiotic instructions!! maybe it was the mason jar manufacturer, to ensure repeat customers

Yea what the hell, her friend must feel awful for gunning her bad info. Or at least she should bc mason jars can't hold high pressures. Pretty damn dangerous, especially when just covering it with tin foil and rubber band would have been fine.

Yea what the hell, her friend must feel awful for gunning her bad info. Or at least she should bc mason jars can't hold high pressures. Pretty damn dangerous, especially when just covering it with tin foil and rubber band would have been fine.

I told her how I do starters with my erlenmeier flask with the tinfoil and rubberband. She insisted that she cap it since that was what the directions said. Lesson learned.

There is nothing wrong using mason jars and they are way sturdier to knocks and bumps than erlenmeyers and easier to clean. Just don't tighten the lid!

Always follow instructions with some (common) sense. If you read the instructions that come with some beer kits, we would shake our heads too. Some don't even boil the "wort" or sanitize the equipment.

Although I'll share the high-fiving at your seeming victory, I hope this doesn't come back to bite you if you should happen to spray a quart of beer all over the family room!

Just sayin'

Completely agree, don't tell her to not do sourdough experiments. First, you don't have the power to tell her what to do in her hobby (as she doesn't have that power over you) and secondly, don't you get to eat the sourdough bread? You're just punishing yourself, man ;)

Although I'll share the high-fiving at your seeming victory, I hope this doesn't come back to bite you if you should happen to spray a quart of beer all over the family room!

Just sayin'

Good call. I did catch a little hell from the gloating. That all happened at 1 am. The next day I was better. She does have another one going now, it is vented however. Youre right, I don't want this to bite me later.

Completely agree, don't tell her to not do sourdough experiments. First, you don't have the power to tell her what to do in her hobby (as she doesn't have that power over you) and secondly, don't you get to eat the sourdough bread? You're just punishing yourself, man ;)

I was actually happy she was pkaying with yeast. I was totally in the moment in pulling the plug on a hobby. You say lots of things when a yeast grenade covers your kichen, front room, and living room with glass and sticky nastiness at 10:30 at night. That took forever to clean. She has another one going now. In the end, we still wanted some sourdough bread. :-D

Congratulations,

Everyone wins when some one recognizes their passion. How many people give up brewing after just one failure?

Give that woman a beer, and the encouragement to persevere in the face of failure!

Take the high road, Tango! Wrap your arms around her and offer words if encouragement and love! Make her feel as though you're on her side and really enjoy her having such a great and useful hobby. Let her know that, even though cleaning up was such a PITA, it was time spent with her and, therefore, well worth it.

And order that new brew kettle fast!

Usually there's a good rule about gloating/"I told you so" BS: does she/he already feel absolutely awful against herself/himself?

If yes, let it boil on itself, adding anything will just come back against you... If not though... then fire away, because lesson wasn't learned... :p

Take the high road, Tango! Wrap your arms around her and offer words if encouragement and love! Make her feel as though you're on her side and really enjoy her having such a great and useful hobby. Let her know that, even though cleaning up was such a PITA, it was time spent with her and, therefore, well worth it.

And order that new brew kettle fast!

I did. My ******-iness didn't last long. I have a strong conscious. Plus I wanted homemade bread. :p

Haha. I didn't take pictures of it. I was too angry. I kinda wish I had a video of it exploding in slow motion though. That stuff always makes me geek out.

am I the only one who doesn't find this kind of thing funny? if anyone was in your kitchen they might have died from flying glass. anything like that should be contained, at least to some sort of cabinet or something for 'just in case' accidents like this.

am I the only one who doesn't find this kind of thing funny? if anyone was in your kitchen they might have died from flying glass. anything like that should be contained, at least to some sort of cabinet or something for 'just in case' accidents like this.

You're right. We were very fortunate that this happend while everyone was sleeping upstairs. Had the wife and I came home earlier, we would have been in the blast zone. We are now using plastic baggies. Much easier to burp. :-D

Sounds ugly. Of course, the lesson is plastic wrap and a rubber band are ideal for sourdough starters in mason jars, not metal lids.

Sounds ugly. Of course, the lesson is plastic wrap and a rubber band are ideal for sourdough starters in mason jars, not metal lids.

Agreed. Friday I will enjoy a new batch of sourdough with the misses. I'm glad she doesn't listen to me when I'm pissed :-D now I get to eat bread!

Back