Raspberry Hefe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty13

Reaction score
I need some advice..I brewed a partial mash raspberry hefe this past Sunday. This was a kit from my LBS (5% ABV) which included specialty grains, hops, rasberry puree etc. As I usually do, I added additional LME and base grains to get the ABV to around 7%. However, I used the same amount of hops that the recipe called for for the lower ABV level. I'm concerned that once finished, the beer will not be balance enough and be either to sweet or malty for the style given the extra sugars that were added. My questions is should I let it ride and transfer to secondary, etc or maybe add some additional hops during secondary to better balance the beer?? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thx!! :mug:

matty13 said:
I need some advice..I brewed a partial mash raspberry hefe this past Sunday. This was a kit from my LBS (5% ABV) which included specialty grains, hops, rasberry puree etc. As I usually do, I added additional LME and base grains to get the ABV to around 7%. However, I used the same amount of hops that the recipe called for for the lower ABV level. I'm concerned that once finished, the beer will not be balance enough and be either to sweet or malty for the style given the extra sugars that were added. My questions is should I let it ride and transfer to secondary, etc or maybe add some additional hops during secondary to better balance the beer?? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thx!! :mug:

I'm pretty sure that the hop balancing you're striving for would be the bittering quality that's derived from hop additions during the boil. Nothing you add at this point in the way of hops will give you the bitterness that I think you may be trying achieve. You can add the hops though, might give the beer a different nose, but it may mess up the raspberry taste/scent a little?
I guess it's totally up to you, I think I'd be inclined to taste it at transfer and see if you think tweaking it with dry hops would be the right thing to do?
Good luck, it'll be good beer regardless

Back