Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschupner

Reaction score
Would like to hear any thoughts or suggestions about this recipe. First one, pretty basic recipe, so please be kind....lol

3.3# Amber LME
3.0# Amber DME
1.0# Caramel 80L
0.5# Biscuit
0.5# Carapils

1.0 oz Cascade 60min
0.5 oz Cascade 20min
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min

Nottingham Yeast

Cascade is a wonderful hops variety. I would adjust the hops schedule so it shines more. Here is my suggestion:

1.0 oz Cascade 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade 15 min
1.0 0z Cascade 5 min
1.0 oz Cascade dry hop for 1 week.

I've used this hops schedule many times and the grapefruit flavor and aroma from the cascade really stands out.

Jonas, I'm not a big fan of really hoppy beers and with your schedule(around 35 ibu) it is closing in on pale ale ibu strength. I wanted to stay under 30. Maybe I'll up it a bit from where I'm at, but probably not much.

Cascade is a wonderful hops variety. I would adjust the hops schedule so it shines more. Here is my suggestion:

1.0 oz Cascade 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade 15 min
1.0 0z Cascade 5 min
1.0 oz Cascade dry hop for 1 week.

I've used this hops schedule many times and the grapefruit flavor and aroma from the cascade really stands out.

I would agree with this, you are using 14.2% crystal, need the extra ibu to balance. This will be close to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, let us know how out turns out, sounds very tasty!

I'd not use amber lme and dme- it's got crystal malt in it as well, so you're doubling (or tripling) the amount of crystal malt but not gaining anything.

I'd use the lightest dme and lme you can find, and then ditch the carapils. (Carapils is a crystal malt, and you've got plenty already.).

I'd also suggest "layering" of the crystal malts, so instead of a pound of 80L, which is toffee/raisiny, reduce that and use some crystal 40L instead.

Like this:
3.3# pale LME (flame out)
3.0# extra-light DME
0.25# Caramel 80L
0.75# caramel/crystal 20-40L
NO biscuit (very dry tasting, and not good in an amber) or carapils (a crystal malt)

1.0 oz Cascade 60min
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min

That's why she's an administrator now! Awesome advice as usual!

Yooper said:
I'd not use amber lme and dme- it's got crystal malt in it as well, so you're doubling (or tripling) the amount of crystal malt but not gaining anything.

I'd use the lightest dme and lme you can find, and then ditch the carapils. (Carapils is a crystal malt, and you've got plenty already.).

I'd also suggest "layering" of the crystal malts, so instead of a pound of 80L, which is toffee/raisiny, reduce that and use some crystal 40L instead.

Like this:
3.3# pale LME (flame out)
3.0# extra-light DME
0.25# Caramel 80L
0.75# caramel/crystal 20-40L
NO biscuit (very dry tasting, and not good in an amber) or carapils (a crystal malt)

1.0 oz Cascade 60min
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min

Everything but the pale LME is boiled? Brain not working to good right now please excuse the noob question lol.

Everything but the pale LME is boiled? Brain not working to good right now please excuse the noob question lol.

Yes.

You add the grains in a grainbag to the water and steep at 150-160 for 20 minutes. Then, remove the grainbag (rinse it off in a strainer over the pot by pouring hot water over it if you want) and then bring that to a boil. Add the light DME and bring back to a boil. Set the timer for 60 minutes, and add the hops with the time left indicated on the timer. At flame out, turn off the flame and stir in the LME. Stir well, and then you can chill the wort.

Back