Best yeast for frozen concentrate wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
What is everyone's favorite yeast for frozen concentrate wine and why ? I have been using montrachet but I am looking to mix it up a bit. I am about to start an apple / grape mix and want to try something different.

cote de blanc is a good one, I have used it for a few frozen concentrates and they turned out good. I also use it for my blackberry wine.

I like lalvin 71b as my favorite. It metabolizes malic acid and keeps wine from being too tart. Also lalvin 71b is known for making good young wines which my frozen concentrate wine are all drank young.

I used 71b for mead one time but wouldn't have thought to use it for concentrate wine. LHBS said to use k11v6 I think it is, I tried it but it turned out terrible. Montrachet has been my go to ever since. I do want to try something new now though.

My latest batches of conentrate wine have been fermented using Premier Cuvee. They fermented fast and are bulk aging right now. About a month and a half old. Seems like I didn't take into account the alcohol tolerance for this yeast into my recipe. Normally a semi-sweet wine, now tastes like a much stronger wine than I normally make.

That was the issue I had last two times trying a new yeast. I tried premier cuvée as well as champagne yeast with frozen concentrate and both ended terrible. Used them with apple and an apple pomegranate. I have stuck with Montrachet since it is my go to for muscadine wine, but thought I could try something new if someone had a good suggestion for one.

Latest posts

Back