Check my math please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Until I find a good deal on a freezer I am going to delve into some ghetto cooling, no offense intended to the ghetto;)

Can you check my thoughts please?

I have a 32 gallon trash can, never used, in which I am going to place my 6.5 gallon brew bucket. I am going to fill it with 13 gallons (approximately 100 pounds) of water and 5 pounds of ice. At equilibrium that should take me to 65 degrees. With a blanket wrapped around it how fast will I lose temps? (conjecture obviously) I am thinking I need to maintain this lower temp for the first 3-4 days only?

I know, I know, it's not rocket science. I do tend to over complicate things. Does anyone see anything glaringly incorrect here?

Thanks in advance, folks!

Until I find a good deal on a freezer I am going to delve into some ghetto cooling, no offense intended to the ghetto;)

Can you check my thoughts please?

I have a 32 gallon trash can, never used, in which I am going to place my 6.5 gallon brew bucket. I am going to fill it with 13 gallons (approximately 100 pounds) of water and 5 pounds of ice. At equilibrium that should take me to 65 degrees. With a blanket wrapped around it how fast will I lose temps? (conjecture obviously) I am thinking I need to maintain this lower temp for the first 3-4 days only?

I know, I know, it's not rocket science. I do tend to over complicate things. Does anyone see anything glaringly incorrect here?

Thanks in advance, folks!

13 gallons of water will probably float your fermenter.

And, what is the ambient temp in that space and what will be the temp of the beer in the fermenter?

I use frozen water bottles to cool my carboy and it takes sixteen 500mL bottles every 24 hours. That’s 17.6 lbs of ice per day, a little less when the fermentation slows.

This is in a rope tub with the water up to the level of the beer, about six gallons. The tub has two layers of R-13 insulation (about six inches) wrapped around it. I ferment at 17 C and my apartment is about 27C, so that’s 18F difference.

My setup is automated with a pump and an igloo cooler as an ice bucket. An electronic controller pumps cold water through an immersion chiller to maintain the water temperature.

It’s not your setup, but it should be in the ballpark.

13 gallons of water will probably float your fermenter.

And, what is the ambient temp in that space and what will be the temp of the beer in the fermenter?

Ambient will be about 73 and I am hoping to keep the beer in the fermenter around 65.

Back