Hello All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldguy

Reaction score
Well, they say it's never too late to start... I hope not. I'm retired, and was just given a MrBeer 2-gallon brewing kit for Fathers' Day. So here I go. I've read some mixed reviews of kits, and given my druthers I wouldn't have started this way, but it sort of commits me, yes? Can anyone give me some advice before I fall into the fermenter headfirst?

Thanks in advance!
Leroy (aka Oldguy)

Well, they say it's never too late to start... I hope not. I'm retired, and was just given a MrBeer 2-gallon brewing kit for Fathers' Day. So here I go. I've read some mixed reviews of kits, and given my druthers I wouldn't have started this way, but it sort of commits me, yes? Can anyone give me some advice before I fall into the fermenter headfirst?

Thanks in advance!
Leroy (aka Oldguy)

"Oldguy"? I don't know how old you are, but I doubt you're the oldest around here! And better late than never.

Welcome to the forum- feel free to ask any questions you may have. We're here to help!

Welcome aboard. Here is a good thread re: Mr. Beer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mr-beer-read-all-about-ask-questions-46360/

I'd suggest swapping out the yeast for a fresh packet from your local home brew store (LHBS). And try to keep the fermenter cool. Also, if you decide the first batch doesn't taste great, don't pour it out. Try to let it age. Ultimately keep the barrel like fermentor (they are great or small batch experiments in the future. Good luck.

Mr beer is how I brew and its all I want/need. I've brewed over 30 batches so far with more to come. I've only had a couple I didn't care for.

3 weeks in the LBK-little brown keg-
3 weeks in the bottle at room temp
Chill a couple days
Enjoy beer you made.
Remember-The Waiting is the Hardest Part.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure i'll have questions to toss out after I get started... it'll be a few days, as I have to go out of town this weekend. As for how old... pushing 69 years, so the Oldguy fits, yes?
As for a LHBS -- ain't none. Not around here! Nothing around here except Angus cattle and hay fields; the closest towns are all 35 miles away and barely have any selection of bottled beers, so my shopping would be online. Anyway, I've perused this forum in the past, and have learned that if i dont' like a batch, to let it sit... eventually it might just become drinkable. So I know it's like bonsai; patience is important. I am itching to get started, and I'll be around.

LK

Latest posts

Back