Growler filling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog429

Reaction score
I was at a local brewery tonight and people were bringing growlers in to be filled. The bartenders were just putting a hose on the end of tap and filling the growler. Is this right? It doesn't seem to be. Any thoughts?

The hose keeps the beer from falling so far and releasing so much CO2. Some use the hose and others don't. Works both ways, but maybe better with the hose.

They're not worried about CO2 retention or sanitization? Is this maybe because of the assumption that the beer is going to consumed fairly soon? Just wondering because it seems like I'm taking precautions to sanitize everything.

They're not worried about CO2 retention or sanitization? Is this maybe because of the assumption that the beer is going to consumed fairly soon? Just wondering because it seems like I'm taking precautions to sanitize everything.

Correct on both counts. They aren't gonna care about sanitation cuz u already bought the product and it isn't expected to last long anyway. Same for CO2, although using the hose deep down at the bottom of the growler will help keep foaming down, speed up the fill and get you a bit more beer.

It's how we fill growlers at home from the keg. I insert a bottling tube into the picnic tap and fill away

And yes, they are consumed within a few days

Rick

Most of our local breweries store the plastic tubing in starsan. Mine usually stay carbed for 2-3 days. At least, it never lasts longer than that so it might stay carbed even longer.

One of the places I know that does growler fills also gives you a campden tablet and instructions to rinse the growler after use, fill with a bit of water and drop the tablet in. I see it as the owners responsibilty to keep the growler in a clean condition, and if it were me filling and someone came up with a dirty growler I'd tell them to go away and clean it before I touched it as it could cause an infection :D

Thanks guys for all the feedback. For some reason it just didn't seem right. After thinking about it for a bit, it made more sense to me. Gotta stop posting after a six pack. Lol

Mine usually stay carbed for 2-3 days. At least, it never lasts longer than that so it might stay carbed even longer.

I agree with this. I think you can push it a few more days if you haven't started drinking off it. Once you pour the first pint though, you should finish it within 24 hours due to carbonation retention constraints.

Back