Are my pots too small for my first years?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chavi

Reaction score
First off, thank you to everyone in this forum for all the guidance and help regarding hop growing! I live in Florida and am growing rhizomes. These are first year plants and are doing really well so far. I am curious, are these pots going to hold up this year, or do I need bigger ones? Unfortunately, planting my hops in the ground is not an option due to my yards soil and drainage issues. Any tips/ suggestions would be great!

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

I did first year hops in pots around that size and then transplanted them for the next year with no problem that I was aware of, but I think the general gist of advice on this site will be to put them in at LEAST 5 gallon buckets and preferably something larger.

The year old hops plants I found at my local nursery were in pots this size when I bought them. When I wanted them in the ground I found that the where terribly root bound. They would probably be a little happier in something bigger, Fred Meyers sells large 10 gallon pots for 5 bucks a piece.

If i were to make a raised bed, what dimensions should i make them for each plant?

Back