Converting 55 Gallon Steel Drums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to get my hands on two 55 gallon stainless steel drums that had been used to store antifreeze. I want to get anyone's experience on converting one of these to a grill. Also I have been told that the antifreeze could be burned out but I am not 100% sold on that idea. So if anyone has experience please share that with me.

I also wasn't sure if this was the appropriate section for this, if not mods please move..

Antifreeze could be rinsed well and then heated to completely remove it. I don't have any experience in building a grill or smoker, but I have seen plenty of how-tos on google. I'm pretty satisfied with my electric UDS I bought for $10 at a yard sale. I could like a more expensive smoker for those rare times I would be able to maintain it, but for $10 and hands off, I really like it.

Well. I am wanting a grill mostly..i think i may go a different route. Even if i can burn all of antifreeze it will still be in the back of my mind that this drum held a poisonous substance..

I built a UDS from a drum that had the red liner in it. I found I had to pay to have it media blasted down to bare metal but felt a lot more comfortable knowing it was all out. If you are planning on building a grill and doing it right you may want to look into a good burn and then blast. Just my $0.02

Jesus, I almost had a heart attack! I see "converting 55 gallon SS drums" and "antifreeze" and thought for a second you were trying to turn them into brew kettles!

Back