Fermaid K vs "Yeast Nutrient"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeast Nutrient, wholesaled by LD Carlson I think, as sold by my LHBS is a white granular substance. Fermaid K (sold as a yeast nutrient) looks more like what I know as yeast energizer. What's the difference?

In the context of my Skeeter Pee for instance, can I use the Kermaid K as a replacement for the nutrient in my second addition?

I believe ferment k is a blend of nutrient and energizer.
Well that's what it looked like but it never hurts to ask. Scot Labs says:

Fermaid® K is a blended complex yeast nutrient that supplies ammonia salts (DAP), free amino acids (organic nitrogen derived from inactivated yeast), sterols, unsaturated fatty acids, key nutrients (magnesium sulfate, thiamin, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate) and inactive yeast.

When I go to the LD Carlson website they crypically give a link to the MSDS for Urea and DAP when looking this stuff up. ... which I guess is not cryptic at all if you think about it.

Their MSDS for Yeast Energizer lists Diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, and Vitamin B Complex.

... so I guess you are likely right. I suppose I'll just use proper amounts of Fermaid K when it comes time to use more. Thanks for the reply.

Well that's what it looked like but it never hurts to ask. Scot Labs says:

When I go to the LD Carlson website they crypically give a link to the MSDS for Urea and DAP when looking this stuff up. ... which I guess is not cryptic at all if you think about it.

Their MSDS for Yeast Energizer lists Diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, and Vitamin B Complex.

... so I guess you are likely right. I suppose I'll just use proper amounts of Fermaid K when it comes time to use more. Thanks for the reply.

Energizer is mostly yeast hulls, nutrient is diammonium phosphate. Hence ferment k is a blend. I buy them separately because it's cheaper...but I can't see any harm its adding more energizer during fermentation.

Energizer is mostly yeast hulls, nutrient is diammonium phosphate. Hence ferment k is a blend. I buy them separately because it's cheaper...but I can't see any harm its adding more energizer during fermentation.
The Skeeter Pee "format" calls for both added at the beginning and at first break. Sounds like it will do great.

So do you buy yeast hulls as such or just cook blocks of baker's yeast?

The Skeeter Pee "format" calls for both added at the beginning and at first break. Sounds like it will do great.

So do you buy yeast hulls as such or just cook blocks of baker's yeast?

I buy yeast energizer, I've never added it after the initial yeast pitch, just nutrient. I have no reason or scientific explanation...but after the one third sugar break there are no shortage of hulls.

What are you brewing that you need anything else?

Are you making mead or a high gravity beer?

Not to be a smartass but did you look at the forum this is in? :)

Sure I did... right after I hit save!

Oh and if that is you being a Smart @$$... you are one of the polite people of the forum... HA!

Happy fermenting...

Latest posts

Back