La Petite Orange - Orange Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versachiii

Reaction score
All,

I purchased the La Petite Orange
 Limited Edition All-Grain Kit. I also will add coriander and orange zest at flameout per the instructions. My question is do you transfer the wort with the coriander and orange zest to the primary or stain coriander and orange zest with the hops? Thanks!

in all honesty its up to you man!! thats what homebrewing is all about. IMO i would/ have done both.. at flame out i added orange zest... once i transferred into secondary i tasted.. needed a little more so i added..

you could even add at bottling (orange extract)

CHEERS!

I have had good luck using navel oranges for zest. I have heard some varieties of oranges can have a metallic or soapy flavor. I would not filter and put it all in the fermenter.

I transferred everything when I made 3 batches for my wedding. The first batch I racked to secondary after 16 days and it turned out crystal clear. The other two I left another 4 days due to scheduling and I ended up a bit cloudy. Now, its only cosmetic I should say - They all taste the same. I have a feeling it was the zest breaking down that caused the murkyness.

The only notes I would add that if you like more orange flavor (I do) I might try racking off of the primary after 2 weeks, zesting another orange and letting that second addition sit another week or so. Its all personal preference.

Here's a link to my thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/nb-la-petite-orange-blanche-w-orange-zest-coriander-400101/

I bottled and its been sitting for about 3-4 weeks now. Im in MI visiting family but once I get home on Wed I'll pop a bottle open and update the thread to let you know how I made out in the end.

All my samples were great though. When I make this again, I may add some orange blossom honey to dry it out and up the ABV a tad.

Good luck and hope that helps

Back