Tall Boy Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a stainless kettle to do five gallons batches in. I will start with partial but would like to eventually move to full grain. Will the eight gallon tall boy kettle be alright for 5 gallon full grain? and what have your experiences been with these pots if you have one. they look really nice and are priced pretty good so i may just have to get one

What type of all-grain are you planning on doing...brew in a bag (BIAB) or more traditional three vessel system (Hot Liquor tank, Mash/Lauter Tun, Boil Kettle)? If you're going the three vessel route, 8 gallons should be fine for a boil kettle for a five gallon system. If you're doing BIAB, you may want to go a bit bigger.

For less than $20 more I would go with the 10 gallon. To account for boil off and trub losses you generally collect 7 or more gallons for the boil. That doesn't leave much head room for boilover.

For less than $20 more I would go with the 10 gallon. To account for boil off and trub losses you generally collect 7 or more gallons for the boil. That doesn't leave much head room for boilover.

7 gallons? I collect 6 and boil down to just over 5 in 1 hour.

7 gallons? I collect 6 and boil down to just over 5 in 1 hour.

Depends on your system. Less than 1 gal boil off in an hour is pretty low. Also, hoppier beers tend to lose more wort to hop sludge. Also, 90 minute boil recipes need to be compensated for. I think it's better to have more capacity just in case.

I do traditional full 6.5 gal. boils in a 7.5 gal. SS kettle. It's all fine. Rather than mess with tending boilovers, I just put in 6-7 drops of Fermcap-S just before the boil. No worries.

Back