dialing in keg pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhemoth

Reaction score
Hi all,

sorry if this should go somewhere else - i am new to the forum and not sure what protocol is. I have had a keg for a while and finally got a fridge. Like most new keggers, i am having foam trouble.

firstly I have a ball lock Corny. For now i just use a picnic tap (little plastic guy) . i was pouring foam for a while so i ordered a what i thought was a longer version of the same beer line (1 Meter). turns out it is super narrow and ibelieve it to be 3/16” ID plastic beer line with 2.7 resistance.

according to my calculations (http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/0...our-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/ ) i need another 2" to balance the system.

the question is: can i simply dial back the pressure on my regulator until it stops pouring foam, or do I really need to get a longer line? Is there a way to get the beer carbonated enough without having to buy a new line? the issue is that i don't have a shop near me and the customer service for ordering online leaves something to be desired. if i just dial back the pressure, does that mean it will stop foaming, but the beer will not be carbonated to the correct level?

Thanks in advance!

ps. Keg is sitting at roughly 37 F (3C), beer line is 3/16" (i think!) and about 3.2' long. desired Co2 volume is about 2.1

2.1 volumes is on the low side, but I assume you're happy with that :p To maintain that carb level you should set the regulator to about 7 psi if you're at 37 degrees.

How did you carbonate the keg? If it's truly equilibrated at 2.1 volumes (ex. if you left it carbonating for 2 weeks at 7 psi), lowering the pressure will increase foaming as the CO2 comes out of solution in the line in order to balance the pressure.

You need a longer line. The line length calculators are flawed for our uses, for a number of reasons. The only drawback of a longer line is that you'll pour a bit slower, but it will drastically reduce foaming.

If you only plan on serving at relatively low carbonation levels like this, you can probably get away with a 7-8 foot line (3/16" ID). Most of us have found somewhere in the neighborhood of a 10 foot line works fine for most carbonation levels.

The bottom line is, if you want to properly serve your beer you'll need a longer line. You can briefly drop the pressure to pour, then turn it back up to maintain carbonation, but this is a sloppy and wasteful technique. A new line will only cost you a couple bucks.

So i ended up getting 5 Meters of 1/4" lining. do i still use about 10 Feet, or can i shorten the length now?

trying very hard not to swear right now :) that was just silly of me then. we are about 1.9/2 meters short then. I think i will go for the full 5 Meters and a slightly less carbonated beer for right now. i thought i hd read that the fatter lines are less likely to pull Co2 out of solution so thought i would need less length. my connection to the tap is 1/4" so i got that instead of the 6/13 because although it fit, that was quite tight.

trying very hard not to swear right now :) that was just silly of me then. we are about 1.9/2 meters short then. I think i will go for the full 5 Meters and a slightly less carbonated beer for right now. i thought i hd read that the fatter lines are less likely to pull Co2 out of solution so thought i would need less length. my connection to the tap is 1/4" so i got that instead of the 6/13 because although it fit, that was quite tight.

If you start with 12' of 3/16" line, that will probably be all you need for both higher and lower carb levels. You can probably go up to 2.8 volumes of c02 with 12' lines and no foaming.

1/4" lines are for long runs- like at a bar where the kegs are far away from the taps. For shorter runs, 3/16" ID is the size you want.

back to the drawing board on the tubing. Will let you know how it works out once i get it. Thanks Yooper

Back