Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a vet and I can say for certain no shots will make a dog paralyzed with a blown disk. That is not a vaccine reaction or crappy administrator as another has suggested. I like Beagles but they have their issues just like other breeds. One of those tends to be low pain tolerance, back issues (IVDD), and an issue called Beagle pain syndrome just to name a few. This time could definitely be just pain related (are you sore after getting shots for a few days) or he could have truly injured his back again but the shots did not directly cause it.

THANK YOU!

I had figured the shots weren't a direct cause, but happening twice under almost the exact same conditions made me wonder.

reading up on Beagle pain syndrome (first I had ever heard of it. using first result at top of google/bing search, beaglepro.com) and he has most of those symptoms. pretty much all of them except for a fever, but not sure about the pain in the jaw.

could the shots AGGRAVATE that condition?

(taking any further correspondence to PM)

My Reggie. I've posted him here before. He's been gone since Tuesday. Was working at a buddy's homestead up in the hills and Reg took off. Headed back up to look for him again today. Hoping he didn't get dragged along by some idiot hiker on the AT. The ones I talked to yesterday were clueless that the trail essentially goes through people's back yards up there.

He just turned 8, I've had him since I could hold him in one hand it's really tearing me up.

Do you think you could contact the people who run the AT and ask them to leave fliers or notices?

My Reggie. I've posted him here before. He's been gone since Tuesday. Was working at a buddy's homestead up in the hills and Reg took off. Headed back up to look for him again today. Hoping he didn't get dragged along by some idiot hiker on the AT. The ones I talked to yesterday were clueless that the trail essentially goes through people's back yards up there.

That sucks. I really hope you find him!

Good luck man. Mine got out today cause I forgot to lock the gate after moving some equipment. I about freaked, wife's in Seattle, and I lose the dogs on day one. Its 90 today so they came back for water. I hope you find him! Good (edit) fortune

Thanks everyone. I got flyers posted where at the three nearest points the trail crosses the road and the shelter closest to where he ran off from. More hiking, too, but no luck. I'll head back up there tomorrow and go door to door and hit the shelters in the neighboring counties.

On the back pain issue, we had a greyhound who's racing injuries started to catch up with her in old age. At one point her neck was so bad she couldn't look down. A chiropractic vet made a huge difference.

Dog owners: get insurance. My 11 yr old lab has had three knee surgeries and three other surgeries cutting out cancer plus chemo treatment. All for $200 deductible (each time) the premium is about $550 a year. We've saved we'll over $10,000 ... oh and my dogs life. It makes those tough expensive decisions nobrainers.

PetPlan is what we use. Get it early before the dog has a pre existing conditions

HoppyDaze said:
Dog owners: get insurance. My 11 yr old lab has had three knee surgeries and three other surgeries cutting out cancer plus chemo treatment. All for $200 deductible (each time) the premium is about $550 a year. We've saved we'll over $10,000 ... oh and my dogs life. It makes those tough expensive decisions nobrainers.

PetPlan is what we use. Get it early before the dog has a pre existing conditions

I also have PetPlan. Haven't had to use it yet, but better safe than sorry.

Hmmm, news to me. After way too much, I will look into it. thanks. Are you a rep? I'm going to use HBT as my coupon code, ok?

Thanks everyone. I got flyers posted where at the three nearest points the trail crosses the road and the shelter closest to where he ran off from. More hiking, too, but no luck. I'll head back up there tomorrow and go door to door and hit the shelters in the neighboring counties.

Yea, I'm pulling for you here too. It'd break my heart.

Got pet insurance here too. Never used and and hopefully I the insurance company will make a profit off me and I won't have to use it.

Thought I was going to have bad news to post here last night. I was doing some work out in the driveway around 9:30, looked down, and....where'd my dog go? I don't know if he bolted after a rabbit, or what, but he was GONE (I had been using a heat gun to remove a decal from a truck window, so I didn't hear him take off).

Myself and 5 other friends (in three total pickups) spent an hour driving the entire west side of town, and we finally found him. (FYI... searching for a black dog at 10:00 PM is a real challenge)

His yard-roaming privileges have been officially revoked - he has been in his run or on a 20' check cord non-stop since we got back home.

Yea, I'm pulling for you here too. It'd break my heart.

Thanks, it's nice to know all my HBT buddies are thinking about him. Today is day 5 and I need a day off from driving back up there and searching all day. Hopefully someone finds him and gives me a call.

A couple months ago some kids had apparently gone in my yard to retrieve their tennis ball and left my gate open. Unknowingly, I came home and let one of the dogs in the backyard to roam. About an hour later my wife comes home and walks in with the dog. He was apparently sitting in the driveway wagging his tail waiting for her instead of running off. Good doggy. Needless to say now though, I put a padlock on the gate.

On Sunday we are adding to our family. We have the child, adding the dog.

image-3484576430.jpg

Wowsers, I got a call today and my dog is home. He's in bed with my wife, the little bastard! I had two false alarms Sunday and have driven something like 100 miles roundtrip 5 of the last 7 days looking for him. The woman who called saying she had him today said he'd been there 2 weeks (he ran off last tuesday) so I was skeptical, but his face was sticking out of the barn when I got there. Wasn't even that happy to see me. I sure was happy to see him though.

Thanks again for everyone's wellwishing and kind thoughts. I was plum miserable and haven't hardly slept in a week. It was comforting to know my fellow HBT'ers were thinking of us. :mug:

Wowsers, I got a call today and my dog is home. He's in bed with my wife, the little bastard! I had two false alarms Sunday and have driven something like 100 miles roundtrip 5 of the last 7 days looking for him. The woman who called saying she had him today said he'd been there 2 weeks (he ran off last tuesday) so I was skeptical, but his face was sticking out of the barn when I got there. Wasn't even that happy to see me. I sure was happy to see him though.

Thanks again for everyone's wellwishing and kind thoughts. I was plum miserable and haven't hardly slept in a week. It was comforting to know my fellow HBT'ers were thinking of us. :mug:

Woo hoo! That is great news.

ChshreCat said:
Everyone in this forum who watches Futurama will start getting teary right about...... now
Thanks for bringing us all down. ;)

Back