Need help with instructions!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acy

Reaction score
My second beer. It is a Brewcraft Belgian Wit. Among the things in the kit are 1oz US SAAZ hop pellets (no other bags of hops), 1oz bitter orange peel, 1oz coriander seed, and 2 grams paradise seed.

Step 6 says, in part, "Place the bittering hops that came with your kit in one of the provided steeping bags, tie shut, and add to wort. Continue to boil for 45 minutes on med-high heat.

Step 7 says, in part, "If your kit came with flavor hops, place them....and add now. Boil for 10-15 minutes longer"

Step 8 says "If your kit came with flavor hops, place in hop steeping bag and add now. If your kit came with spices, place in steeping bag and add now. Turn off the burner, your wort has now boiled for about one hour."

Step 9 says " If your kit came with Aroma hops, place them in bag and add now. Allow to rest about 10 minutes.

Are my hops bittering, flavoring or aroma? If flavor hops do I add them per step 7, or step 8?
Are the orange peel, coriander and paradise seed all spices, to be added just before turning off the boil? I ask this last question because the orange peel package says to add in last 15 to 20 minutes of the boil.

I appreciate any assistance. The only contact info on the instruction sheet is for web site only, and that doesn't give me a way to ask them questions. Thanks, Al

If there's only one hop addition, it's a bittering addition. Yes, those other things are spices for those instructions. If the bag of orange peel says add at fifteen minutes or so, do that and then add the other items at the end.

Add the hops at the start of the boil.

Their directions are to add the spices atflame out. That is quite a lot of the orange peel and coriander so adding tehm at the end should be fine.

Wits have the orange/coriander(lemon type flavor) and paradise seed (kind of a peppery flavor) as the flavor just use the Saaz at the start of the boil and add the rest at the at the 10 min and don't remove till after the cool down

.I also add spices/zest the last 10-15 minutes of the boil in a muslin hop sack. And be sure you crush the seeds first,about the same as you would other grains.

Back