Odell IPA Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a side by side with Odell on the left of my recipe. You can see mine has a pretty bad chill haze...I now have a great immersion chiller ;)

ForumRunner_20120319_152453.jpg

That looks great fifthcircle! How is the taste comparison?

Taste was VERY close. I would change a couple things as shown below. The second recipe has 61ibu vs the 69ibu of the one I made, but I don't think it will be noticeable. You could always compensate with another .25oz of the horizon. What will be noticeable is moving the Amarillo to sub 20min (from 45min), and upping the quantity. I was missing a bit of aroma on the top, and I think that will take care of it.

Here is my original recipe:
Style: American IPA OG: 1.056
Type: Extract FG: 1.014
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.50 %
Calories: 183 IBU's: 69.11
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 6.00 Gal
Color:*** 8.1 SRM** Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 66.0°F
Secondary 7 days @ 66.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 66.0°F
Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.50 lbs 6.67 % Biscuit Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 6.67 % Crisp Crystal Light 45L 60 mins 1.035
6.00 lbs 80.00 % Briess Golden Light DME 60 mins 1.045
0.50 lbs 6.67 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 20.53 Horizon 60 mins 12.00
0.50 ozs 13.35 Amarillo Gold 45 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 13.15 Centennial 30 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 16.13 Simcoe 10 mins 13.00
0.50 ozs 3.41 Centennial 5 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 1.92 Simcoe 1 mins 13.00
0.50 ozs 0.63 Amarillo Gold 1 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs Centennial 14 days 10.00
1.00 ozs Simcoe 14 days 13.00
0.50 ozs Pearle 14 days 8.00
Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05
Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
Mash Profile
(none)
Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
5.40 oz DME - Bottle Carbonation 66.0°F 2.00
Notes
Primed with .5 oz priming sugar (1/6th of what was indicated), and 4.5 oz golden light DME (5/6ths of what was indicated).

Here is the recipe I would go with next time! (at the very least, move the 45min Amarillo hops to under 20min, and drop the pearle hops.) :
Style: American IPA OG: 1.056
Type: Extract FG: 1.014
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.50 %
Calories: 183 IBU's: 60.98
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 6.00 Gal
Color:*** 8.1 SRM** Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 66.0°F
Secondary 7 days @ 66.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 66.0°F
Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.50 lbs 6.67 % Biscuit Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 6.67 % Crisp Crystal Light 45L 60 mins 1.035
6.00 lbs 80.00 % Briess Golden Light DME 60 mins 1.045
0.50 lbs 6.67 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 20.53 Horizon 60 mins 12.00
0.50 ozs 10.36 Centennial 20 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 16.13 Simcoe 10 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 10.55 Amarillo Gold 10 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 3.41 Centennial 5 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Simcoe 0 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs Simcoe 10 days 13.00
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 10 days 8.50
Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05
Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
Mash Profile
(none)
Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
5.40 oz DME - Bottle Carbonation 66.0°F 2.00
Notes
Primed with .5 oz priming sugar (1/6th of what was indicated), and 4.5 oz golden light DME (5/6ths of what was indicated).

I've got the ingredients order completed, I'll let you all know how this turns out :) Thanks for the recipe!

Partial Mash:
6.7 LB of pale malt extract syrup
2 lbs ESB malt
2 lbs Vienna
10 oz Thomas Fawcett Caramalt
8 oz Weyermann Carafoam
.75 oz Horizon pellet hops, 13% @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Simcoe pellet hops, 13% @ 60 minutes
1 oz Columbus whole hops at burnout
1 oz Chinook whole hops at burnout
.5 oz Simcoe (dry hop)
.5 oz Horizon (dry hop)
.5 oz Amarillo 13% (dry hop)
.5 oz Centennial 13% (dry hop)

Conduct a 60 minute mini mash at 154 degrees with extract, grains, and the specialty malts.
Ferment at 68 one week then condition in secondary on dry hops at 60 degrees for at least one week.

one week of bottle conditioning, and Ive cracked the first bottle open for a taste..its good, nice fiss after a week but its a lil darker than I thought it would be

Last weekend, I visited Colorado. We toured the New Belgium and Odell breweries. I tried to get the IPA recipe, but the tour guide girl was having none of it. Maybe I should be less drunk next time! :cross:

She did say that there are 7 hop varieties in the IPA. One of them is "super secret". They wouldn't even tell me what country it was from. One of the brewers was working, and walked by me. I asked him for a hint, and he said with a big grin "it's unique".

Time to do some research, but I am really thinking Nelson Sauvin.

I know I am digging this one up from the dead, but this is one of my favorite beers and the tread already spans 3 years, so why not make it 4? In an email from Odell they would give me the ingredients, but nothing else. Here it is:

Hops used: Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, Perle and Centennial. We use whole flower varieties and pellets. Malts are Pale, ESB, Cara, Vienna, and Munich.

I hope this helps with the cloning.

I know I am digging this one up from the dead, but this is one of my favorite beers and the tread already spans 3 years, so why not make it 4? In an email from Odell they would give me the ingredients, but nothing else. Here it is:

Hops used: Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, Perle and Centennial. We use whole flower varieties and pellets. Malts are Pale, ESB, Cara, Vienna, and Munich.

They're kind of prissy about their recipes. Stone, on the other hand, just publishes recipes, mash temps, schedule, etc...If you pick up a copy of the Mitch Steele IPA book listed in the back is the malt profile for ODell's beer. The hops is only listed as "Proprietary blend."

I do think its a fantastic IPA, however. My favorite.

In Mitch Steele's IPA book he lists the grist and hop percentages for this beer, as well as its core stats (IBU, OG, FG, etc). It's currently at my work right now, I can post it later when I snag my book.

Glad this got refreshed...good info coming in. Please post the info from Mitch's book. (how is that book BTW?)

TBH the book is quite underwhelming, so far. The history is nice and comprehensive, but it reads like a text book and he repeats himself a tremendous amount. I haven't quite dove into the chapters on brewing contemporary IPAs, I'm hoping it picks up a bit...

Malt Bill:
Pale 2-row 84%
Caramalt 8%
Vienna Malt 7%
Honey Malt 1%

Mashing:
Use water to grain ratio of 1.35 qt/lb

Boiling:
90 Minute boil. Use whole hops for hop-back, pellets for bittering. Amounts given are...
16% Chinook
22% Amarillo
22% Mystery Hop
12% Columbus
28% Centennial

Fermentation and Aging:
Ferment at 68 F for about 60 days (?). Dry hopping is done with a proprietary blend of pellets.

Analytical target:
OG: 16.4 P (1.066)
FG: 3.2 P (1.013)
ADF: 80.5%
IBU: 60
ABV: 7%
Color: 9.5 L

Also, a long time ago (2008) Basic Brewing Radio did a show with Odell and their head brewer listed off the hops that were (at the time) in the IPA:
Chinook (in kettle)
Perle (in kettle)
Centennial (in hop-back and dry hop)
Amarillo (in hop-back and dry hop)
Simcoe (in dry hop)

http://podbay.fm/show/75092679/e/1224793800?autostart=1

Aight so I tinkered around with a recipe based on the book, and the podcast (assuming the mystery hop is perle) and the IBU's come from a 10 minute WP and rest afterwards (I believe the brewer states they do that in the podcast).

5 gallon recipe - 75% efficiency
OG: 1.066

9# 14 oz 2-Row - 84%
15 oz Caramalt - 8%
13 oz Vienna - 7%
2 oz Honey Malt - 1%

90 minute boil
.38 oz Perle @ 75 (10 IBU) - 6%
.5 oz Perle @ 30 (11.3 IBU) - 8%
.5 oz Chinook @ 30 (18.3 IBU) - 8%
.5 oz Perle @ WP (7.8 IBU) - 8%
.5 oz Chinook @ WP (12.6 IBU) - 8%
1.25 oz Amarillo @ HB - 22%
1.5 oz Centennial @ HB - 28%
.75 oz Columbus @ HB - 12%

60 IBUs - Tinseth. Again, I adjusted all hops/IBUs for a 10 minute whirlpool and a 10 minute rest.

Dry hop is where it gets iffy.
Right now I'm thinking
.5 oz Centennial (stated in podcast)
.5 oz Amarillo (stated in podcast)
.5 oz Simcoe (stated in podcast)
.5 oz Columbus
.5 oz Horizon

7 Hops total

The unique hop the brewer may have been referring to could be Simcoe...but I'm not sure that's such a secret hop these days

I'm exicted to see the progress on this one. I noticed that the grain bill in the above recipe is different than the one given to brewmeister13 by Odell:
"Malts are Pale, ESB, Cara, Vienna, and Munich."

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/odell-ipa-clone-87132/index5.html#post5183148

Did I miss what yeast they use? I tried an attempt at this 2 years back, but used German Ale yeast as someone thought Odell's used this. I didn't like it - made a much too "soft" beer. I'm planning to stick with 1056 on this go-around. I see fifthcircle used US05 and got good results, so my banked 1056 should work fine.

I'm exicted to see the progress on this one. I noticed that the grain bill in the above recipe is different than the one given to brewmeister13 by Odell:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/odell-ipa-clone-87132/index5.html#post5183148

Did I miss what yeast they use? I tried an attempt at this 2 years back, but used German Ale yeast as someone thought Odell's used this. I didn't like it - made a much too "soft" beer. I'm planning to stick with 1056 on this go-around. I see fifthcircle used US05 and got good results, so my banked 1056 should work fine.

I think they use something like 1007. However, how they handle and hop a beer is totally different than a homebrewer. So you should be able to use something neutral and get the same result.

I think they use something like 1007. However, how they handle and hop a beer is totally different than a homebrewer. So you should be able to use something neutral and get the same result.

Yep, that's the one I used. Didn't make a good IPA for me ....

This is almost exactly the Odell IPA recipe published in Zymurgy 2012 Vol 35-4:
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/odell-ipa-zymurgy-june12

-Fort Collins water adjusted to mimic Burton profile
-Mash 153-154F for 1 hour
-Use hopback if available or steep method

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.013
IBU: 60
ABV: 7%
Color: 9.5L (18.1EBC)

Differences:
-All 5 minute hops were listed as hopback hops in zymurgy
-Yeast was identified as "Odell house yeast, strong top cropper w/ medium attenuation and low-medium flocculation" (I've also heard german ale yeast). You can harvest some odell yeast from Easy Street Wheat if you really want to nail it down (lots of low gravity yeast to get there).
-They simply state 'caramel malt' - you decide what that means (my guess is caramel 40L but caramalt might be better)

Hopefully trying to resurrect this one again. I'm originally from Colorado and now live in Chicago where Odell's is woefully unavailable, but on every visit back I try to get as much of this beer as possible. I think it stacks up favorably against any great Midwestern IPA (i.e. Bell's Two Hearted), so I'd like to nail down a pretty good clone so I can keep it on hand. Of all these recipes mentioned in this thread, is there any successes or critiques anyone has?

The grain bill looks solid but I've never used ESB before. For yeast I usually stick to my harvested WLP001 for IPA's and APA's with good results, and probably will do the same for this. After drinking the beer this past week, I think there's some Simcoe in there and something fruity like Amarillo, but I'm really not sure.

I have brewed this recipe and the result was excellent. It tasted very much like I remembered Odell IPA tasting but since I didn't have any to drink side-by-side I couldn't do a back-to-back.
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/odell-ipa-zymurgy-june12

Changes I'd make:
--Mash at 152F
--X-hops are simcoe
--All 5 minute hops would be whirlpool/hopback
--Yeast = WLP029 or builtup Odell bottle dregs

HTH!

I have brewed this recipe and the result was excellent. It tasted very much like I remembered Odell IPA tasting but since I didn't have any to drink side-by-side I couldn't do a back-to-back.
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/odell-ipa-zymurgy-june12

Changes I'd make:
--Mash at 152F
--X-hops are simcoe
--All 5 minute hops would be whirlpool/hopback
--Yeast = WLP029 or builtup Odell bottle dregs

HTH!

Did you follow the fermentation schedule from the recipe? It seems pretty aggressive. Also, you wouldn't do any late hop additions but those with the hop back? I wonder how they get that pineapple taste on the finish, if I'm remembering correctly.

When I brewed this I did follow the fermentation schedule but only because I was looking to serve it quickly from a keg. Looking back on it I think I would do the same again. Obviously, bottling would tack on some carbonation time.

The recipe from zymurgy actually lists those 5min hops as hopback additions which is why I add as a whirlpool/hopstand addition.

When I brewed this I made a couple additional additions at 15 and 10 of something complementary (centennial and Amarillo, respectively).

As for the pineapple, I've never had that description pop into my head but I'll certainly be paying attention next time. Amarillo has the potential to contribute some tropical notes though.

When I brewed this I did follow the fermentation schedule but only because I was looking to serve it quickly from a keg. Looking back on it I think I would do the same again. Obviously, bottling would tack on some carbonation time.

The recipe from zymurgy actually lists those 5min hops as hopback additions which is why I add as a whirlpool/hopstand addition.

When I brewed this I made a couple additional additions at 15 and 10 of something complementary (centennial and Amarillo, respectively).

As for the pineapple, I've never had that description pop into my head but I'll certainly be paying attention next time. Amarillo has the potential to contribute some tropical notes though.

Were you happy with the malt profile? Everything, including from the brewery, advocated a 2 row/ESB blend, but that recipe features only 2 row? I've never used ESB so i'm not sure what that would contribute to the flavor and how it relates to the original. Thanks

Were you happy with the malt profile? Everything, including from the brewery, advocated a 2 row/ESB blend, but that recipe features only 2 row? I've never used ESB so i'm not sure what that would contribute to the flavor and how it relates to the original. Thanks

I was happy with the malt profile but I wasn't being overly critical of it producing a perfect "Odell IPA" since only Odell can produce that :D.

It sounds like you are aware that a US 2row / Canadian Extra Special British blend would likely yield a slightly maltier (maybe barely sweeter) malt profile in the finished beer then straight US 2row. If I had the grain available to me to purchase then that's what I would do - a blend. It's not going to hurt the final beer - that's for sure.

ESB aims to produce a british style malt profile (i.e. doughier, breadier, subtly more toast) with a slightly sweeter finish. I'm sure you could use Maris Otter in place of ESB to accomplish the same.

This was one of my favorite IPAs I've brewed; probably my favorite regular-strength IPA I've brewed. I did burtonize the water pretty heavily, however I think now I would aim for the more reserved Bru'n Water Pale Ale profile (Mosher, half-burton, Tasty's). I don't think this is strictly necessary but it should have the effect of making the hops POP!

whats the fermentation schedule for this recipe i cant see it

The article says: "Ferment at 68° F (20° C)."

The reason this might be considered "aggressive" is simply because many people like fermenting their ales in the lower 60s, particularly a strain like WLP029 or Odell yeast since german ale strains are known to do well in lower temperatures.

I've used Odell yeast several times by now and still think it's the WLP029 strain of yeast from white labs; probably slightly mutated from the original but close enough to not worry about. I've used it both in the mid-upper 60s (66-68F), as well as lower 60s (60-62F). You get a more typical american ale yeast profile in the upper 60s and a cleaner, pseudo-lager-like profile in the lower 60s (especially if you follow fermentation with a cold aging period of a week or two). Every way I've used it has been good, but it's a low-medium flocculator for sure. I have a kolsch-style ale on tap right now with Odell yeast and it's hard to believe it's NOT a lager yeast!

Hope this helps.

Ok, so what is the recipe to try ? I've looked thru the pages and there are at least 5 distinct recipes. I am going to give this a try but not sure which is the recipe.

I would start on Post #52 (link) and pick one from there through your post. They are all very similar and contain additional information/insight not available when this thread started.

-Build your recipe in your software
-Adjust for efficiency
-Scale by percentage for batch size
-Configure hop schedule and IBUs for your system

This will get you close to an Odell IPA beer, and next time you can make subtle changes to dial it in even more. Remember, the only way to get an Odell IPA is to buy one that they bottled ;) - otherwise we are all approximating the beer as best we can for our systems and process.

Regardless of the grain bill, in my opinion the hop schedule will require some late additions of Citra or Galaxy, in order to truly finish out the correct hop profile. Citra has only been mentioned a couple times in this thread, and no one has added it to there recipe. Galaxy is very similar to Citra, and a little less common, so maybe it is the "unique" or special un-named hop.

BTW, Odell IPA is my second favorite beer behind Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue :mug:

I will add it to my beersmith and look at it :) thanks for the pointer.

I would start on Post #52 (link) and pick one from there through your post. They are all very similar and contain additional information/insight not available when this thread started.

-Build your recipe in your software
-Adjust for efficiency
-Scale by percentage for batch size
-Configure hop schedule and IBUs for your system

This will get you close to an Odell IPA beer, and next time you can make subtle changes to dial it in even more. Remember, the only way to get an Odell IPA is to buy one that they bottled ;) - otherwise we are all approximating the beer as best we can for our systems and process.

I'm going to bump this thread from the dead. I haven't brewed in 6 months and looking to get back into over the holidays with a nice IPA! I'll post up my recipe/results in a new thread if it works out well...

I for one would like to see a revival
I also would like for someone to come up with a substitute for honey malt
In Ireland I can only get it in 20 by 25kg bags, minimum order

Just figured I should bump this back up since it has the list of ingredients as given by Odell themselves. I see some questions about mystery hops. As far as honey malt goes, that's just the way that particular recipe is being written. As you see there is no honey malt in the actual Odell IPA.

Ok, making my brewstore shopping list today!

How's this look? I'm going to substitute some portion of the Rahr 2-row for Maris Otter, not sure how much. Also, I'll toss some Simcoe into the dry hop (probably just add a whole ounce for $hits and giggles). I will BIAB for 90min at 152F.

Recipe: Odell IPA TYPE: All Grain
Style: American IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 6.3 SRM SRM RANGE: 6.0-15.0 SRM
IBU: 48.2 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 40.0-70.0 IBUs
OG: 1.076 SG OG RANGE: 1.056-1.075 SG
FG: 1.018 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.018 SG
BU:GU: 0.636 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 7.7 %
EE%: 78.00 % Batch: 5.50 gal Boil: 8.45 gal BT: 90 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 0.3 oz Total Hops: 4.50 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 12.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.4 %
1 lbs Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
15.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.5 %
15.7 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 6.5 %
2.2 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.9 %
2.2 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 0.9 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.77 qt of water at 165.8 F 152.0 F 90 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 5.56 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.061 SG Est OG: 1.076 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 16.4 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 1.8 IBUs

The pound of acid malt hits me as way too much. Without knowing your water profile I can't say for sure, but you would have to have an incredible amount of alkalinity in your water.

If you are going for an Odell IPA I'm not sure that hop schedule will get you there, but it wouldn't be bad. I'd definitely at least consider moving the Amarillo from 60 minutes to the end of the boil.

Great thread here&#128512; Odell IPA is my top 3 beers of all time...being an IPA fan this is a great beer. I think you have good info here except...

They have you fooled On the yeast. I know for a fact they use Conan yeast in this beer. There is a new yeast company in Denver called inland island, in which, they sell "Colorado IPA" yeast cultured from Odell's claiming its Conan yeast. Hmmmm...? Thoughts ???

The pound of acid malt hits me as way too much. Without knowing your water profile I can't say for sure, but you would have to have an incredible amount of alkalinity in your water.

If you are going for an Odell IPA I'm not sure that hop schedule will get you there, but it wouldn't be bad. I'd definitely at least consider moving the Amarillo from 60 minutes to the end of the boil.

Thanks - The acid malt here was just a place holder for Crisp Maris Otter which oddly enough Beersmith 2 doesn't have in the library.

I agree about the Amarillo - kind of an odd bittering hop to use but I caught it too late in the game and just went with it. This was my first batch in awhile so I'll dial this in a bit more in future versions. I'm sure it'll come out tasty either way!

:tank:

Thanks - The acid malt here was just a place holder for Crisp Maris Otter which oddly enough Beersmith 2 doesn't have in the library...

In BeerSmith 2 if you go to the 'File' menu and then 'Add-ons' you can easily add some popular grains. :mug:

I just opened the bottles using this recipe (I used the "what I'd do next time" recipe) and I found it to be SCREAMIN' good! This is the first beer I've made that I consider worth buying. Unfortunately, my stupid friends agreed and there are non left. Go figure!

If you handed me this bottle blind, I'd just assume it was Odell IPA. Outstanding!

Note: I did adjust the recipe slightly to maintain the same IBUs in my pot.

Thanks, btw! My next goal is to Double IPA-ize the Odell. The gloves come off!

Brandon

Back