another worried noobie yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nthammer

Reaction score
Smacked my wyeast packs at 6am on wednesday a 1056 american ale and 1214 belgian abbey, when i got home from work in the afternoon the one had swelled up and the other, belgian abbey 1214, had not at all.

Mixed up some dme/water and ended up with a solution about 1200ml and around 1.022 sg, threw the swelled up pack in there, today it looks good from what I can tell, has white stuff on bottom, and swirling it around releases lots of CO2 bubbles. I'm assuming that is a GOOD sign.

My concern is the belgian yeast, now I did read on the wyeast website that it is slow to start. I mixed up a solution of dme/water to what should have been a higher sg (I didn't measure this one but used a bit more dme and a bit less water than the previous 1200ml/1.022 solution).

Now, this yeast starter was done in a washed out two liter plastic bottle of gingerale, so its difficult to see exactly, but it appears there is the same or similar white gunk on bottom, and shaking it also releases CO2 bubbles albeit not quite as many.

The more I think about it and look, the more I feel that both are perfectly OK.
buuuuuut
What are your thoughts? I plan on brewing on Saturday morning and think I will throw the 1056 yeast in the fridge tonight untill saturday morning and leave the other out a bit longer...any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back