East Coast Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcracks

Reaction score
What's the best way to get ahold of EYC20 for the winter brewing season? Will it ever be sold online, or in store pickup only?

Anyone have access? Can I repay the favor with local beers and endless karma?

Thanks for any info!

Thanks for the reply bkl63,

I've known about this site, but from what I can tell its rarely updated and you cannot order off of it.

Thanks for the reply bkl63,

I've known about this site, but from what I can tell its rarely updated and you cannot order off of it.

Subscribe to the google group to get updates as to when he (Joe B.) gets it in stock. You can order on line, but it sells out in less than 20min typically.

I have used some of the sour strains, they are incredible.

chemman14 said:
What is so special about it?

At least a half dozen unique sour blends that White Labs and Wyeast can't touch. Unique ale and lager strains with extremely high cell counts. Wild yeast/bacteria blends you can't get anywhere else.

Need more info?

At least a half dozen unique sour blends that White Labs and Wyeast can't touch. Unique ale and lager strains with extremely high cell counts. Wild yeast/bacteria blends you can't get anywhere else.

Need more info?

Yes, specifically why do they not manufacture enough so that the average home brewer can actually purchase their product. Very strange business model - produce very little product but have a cult following among the few who can get ahold of it who swear that it is "super yeast". Until a critical mass of brewers have access to and actually verify the results from using ECY I refuse to believe that it is superior to Wyeast or White Labs which have a proven track record and the medals that brewers have won to prove it.

Yes, specifically why do they not manufacture enough so that the average home brewer can actually purchase their product. Very strange business model - produce very little product but have a cult following among the few who can get ahold of it who swear that it is "super yeast". Until a critical mass of brewers have access to and actually verify the results from using ECY I refuse to believe that it is superior to Wyeast or White Labs which have a proven track record and the medals that brewers have won to prove it.

Yeah, this lol. Seems very counterproductive

Seems like the same argument against how many brewers intentionally don't distribute everywhere at once. Growth takes time, and growing too fast overextends resources and can be a deathblow to a business.

I've heard of ECY, never used the yeast, don't know much about it, but I was under the (potentially completely incorrect) impression its one guy (or at the most a small handful of guys) producing on a dramatically smaller scale than White Labs or Wyeast. For all I know, it could be a passion that's just profitable enough that there's no need to grow it, cause he/they aren't looking to get rich off of it. Perhaps someone who knows more about it could provide further insight.

It's a small operation.... It's not like you produce a product that works and suddenly all the infrastructure falls into place that allows you to cater to the clamoring masses. It's a relatively small, incredibly intelligent operation.

It's a small operation.... It's not like you produce a product that works and suddenly all the infrastructure falls into place that allows you to cater to the clamoring masses. It's a relatively small, incredibly intelligent operation.

Actually this is the stereotypical business model. You produce a product that people want and you expand your operations to meet that need. If you don' t someone else will and your business will die. If they'd rather remain tiny and not grow that is their choice but it is certainly not the norm in business.

I am surprised that there are not more "micro" yeast producers out there such as ECY. There is obviously a market for this based on the demand for yeast that is supposedly dialed in a bit more. Someone will recognize this need/want and will fill the void or Wyeast or White Labs will create a division of their operations that produces more experimental strains for the HB and commercial market.

I've used several of their products - we did a group buy from our club. I got the Wit, Bug Country and Bug Farm. They were all very good but the bug country was off the scale sour. I used it in a red wheat and it was one of the best batches I've every made. They do have truly unique products. I'd love to use them again and probably will when I use up my current crop of yeast.

Montanaandy said:

First of all, get a clue as to what you're talking about before spouting off.

It is a nascent one man operation at this point, and the business takes time to grow. WL and Wyeast didn't appear one day with their current production capacity and distribution network in place.

Homebrewers who have tried the product are clamoring for more for a reason. Unique strains, freshness, and cell counts that put the other guys to shame. You can choose not to believe that if you want, but it sounds like sour grapes to me.

First of all, get a clue as to what you're talking about before spouting off.

It is a nascent one man operation at this point, and the business takes time to grow. WL and Wyeast didn't appear one day with their current production capacity and distribution network in place.

Homebrewers who have tried the product are clamoring for more for a reason. Unique strains, freshness, and cell counts that put the other guys to shame. You can choose not to believe that if you want, but it sounds like sour grapes to me.

You have serious mental issues if you were offended by my posts. Why would I possibly have sour grapes about ECY? Did you actually read my posts?

All I did was point out that there those out there such as yourself there that rave about ECY and how great it is. Perhaps. The problem is that it is virtually impossible to get ahold of it to actually experience how great it is. One man operation? That might explain it, eh? Perhaps he might want to hire someone. Perhaps he likes putting out various strains when he feels like it and doesn't care about sales. Whatever.

The guy at ECY has obviously found a niche producing unique yeasts that are not being offered by the big boys. Someone will fill the void eventually - simple supply and demand.

You have serious mental issues if you were offended by my posts. Why would I possibly have sour grapes about ECY? Did you actually read my posts?

All I did was point out that there those out there such as yourself there that rave about ECY and how great it is. Perhaps. The problem is that it is virtually impossible to get ahold of it to actually experience how great it is. One man operation? That might explain it, eh? Perhaps he might want to hire someone. Perhaps he likes putting out various strains when he feels like it and doesn't care about sales. Whatever.

The guy at ECY has obviously found a niche producing unique yeasts that are not being offered by the big boys. Someone will fill the void eventually - simple supply and demand.

Montanaandy,

I'm going to jump in here. I live ten minutes from Princeton Homebrew, where Al drops most of his stuff off. I haven't even got ahold of the stuff. I understand you're not familiar with them, but let me explain the backstory. I don't know him personally, but I respect what he's done as I'm a yeast rancher myself.

Al and his wife are control biologists. That's their job I believe. I think they got into homebrewing a while ago. He started making belgian cultures and gave them away on BBB, a belgian beer forum. They blew up, and was losing money giving them away, so he started selling them through the LHBS. Instead of renting a lab, sinking in thousands of dollars into packaging, and quitting his day job which I'm guessing is pretty darn stable, he makes small starters whenever he can as something to play around with.

As I understand, he does it for fun and maybe some beer money.

Please get informed before you start gossiping about an operation. I agree there isn't much information on them, but there's a Google group, and several YouTube interviews.

I just got 6 different strains from them. If you pay attention you can get them. I plan on making some slants in the next couple of weeks because it is so hard to come by. I personally like what they do. Al does specific orders for breweries and group buys also. If you can't get it and want to try it, maybe get your local club to do a group buy or organize one on here.

P.S. ECY Burton Union makes a superior IPA.

I've used several of their products - we did a group buy from our club. I got the Wit, Bug Country and Bug Farm. They were all very good but the bug country was off the scale sour. I used it in a red wheat and it was one of the best batches I've every made. They do have truly unique products. I'd love to use them again and probably will when I use up my current crop of yeast.

How was the wit? Any substantive difference from 3944/400?

How was the wit? Any substantive difference from 3944/400?

The wit was good - I'm not a huge wit fan and it was my first batch of that style. I actually ended up with wit in place of the east coast ale by accident. Our brew club got a bunch of these as there was some kind of mix up.

I just ran across this company while researching Conan. I'd like to see about putting a group buy together with my club (or maybe a join purchase between the 2 clubs in my city). If that falls through, I have joined the Google Group. Surely the odds of hitting that are better than the luck I have had with the Powerball :D

Any word on the cell counts in your average ECY vial? I would love to get my hands on some Burton Union, Mild or East Coast ale.

I just ran across this company while researching Conan. I'd like to see about putting a group buy together with my club (or maybe a join purchase between the 2 clubs in my city). If that falls through, I have joined the Google Group. Surely the odds of hitting that are better than the luck I have had with the Powerball :D

Any word on the cell counts in your average ECY vial? I would love to get my hands on some Burton Union, Mild or East Coast ale.

ECY cultures are about 2-3 times more dense than your average WL vial or WY smackpack. I have been told by the owner of Princeton Homebrew (1 of 2 retail outlets) that they are about 300B cells/jar. I have used ECY01, ECY02, and ECY14 with great results. Conan will be offered as ECY29 shortly.

Sorry to say that unless you are local to central NJ, you're going to have a tough time getting your hands on some. The entire stock typically sells out in under 1min when made available on the Google group. And he won't ship at all during warm weather, if you're in that boat, the window is rapidly closing.

How about group buys? How large of an order would I have to place for him to do something like that? I do live in warm weather but I have co workers in the NY/NJ area that might be able to pick up for me

winvarin said:
How about group buys? How large of an order would I have to place for him to do something like that? I do live in warm weather but I have co workers in the NY/NJ area that might be able to pick up for me

ECY is a 1 man operation at this point, so when PHB gets some in, it's a few dozen vials at most. He likes to spread it around to as many brewers as possible, so it's doubtful you could organize some type of large group buy.

If you have someone that can pick it up for you, you might have a better shot this summer. No shipping from PHB during hot weather, so locals end up getting a better shot at obtaining some.

One of my co workers has family throughout New York/new jersey area. Sounds like I need to premise somebody some home brew

I have used ECY yeasts several times from The two main suppliers which have been mentioned in this this thread, The brassierie saison makes a truly effective panty dropper and the East coast ale makes a very interesting pale ale/IPA. For us on the east coast, ECY yeasts are absolutely fresher than the yeasts made on the left coast. No doubt about it. They are a completely viable alternative to the usual major yeast sources if you can get them,

Good luck getting them mail ordered to you in middle america or the left coast. I look at ecy saison brasserie as my east coast compensation for the left coast's ability to get russian river, Pliny and all the other left coast beers that we cant get. Cheers!

1.5 - 3.8 hundred billion cells (Ales), depending on the strain. They are bigger pitches than Wyeast or Whitelabs for sure. They come in a 125ml Nalgene bottle.

Sorry to bump an old thread but has availability for 01 and 02 increased at all? Before I start scouring the web, just want to know if it's possible to find them

Sorry to bump an old thread but has availability for 01 and 02 increased at all? Before I start scouring the web, just want to know if it's possible to find them

Love2brew.com
Check it constantly and you may score some.

Back