High fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Ok so I had an ipa fermenting on day 4. Slow and steady fermentation 3 inch krausen temp at 60 on the glass ..65 fluid. I woke up yesterday to a angry batch of beer. I'm talking a machine gun co2 blitz through my blowoff. Was pretty warm temp I'm sure in the 70's I had to go to work. Came home the beer had died down, no krausen, I was like damn. Smell my starsan pickle container and its sweet like Banana. Damn again. My question do I leave it on the yeast cake or get it off and condition it on secondary. Never had this happen before as I'm usually good with temp control.

only 5 days on the yeast is a really short amount of time. I would leave it, just because your beer hits its FG dosn't mean the yeast are done working, they do more than just make alcohol, I would let them finnish/condition the beer if it were mine.

I pulled a wheat beer off the yeast cake at 7 days, it had hit its FG in 5 days, it was green tasting for quite a bit longer than my other batches of wheat left to finnish on the yeast cake.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :tank:

WileECoyote said:
only 5 days on the yeast is a really short amount of time. I would leave it, just because your beer hits its FG dosn't mean the yeast are done working, they do more than just make alcohol, I would let them finnish/condition the beer if it were mine.

I pulled a wheat beer off the yeast cake at 7 days, it had hit its FG in 5 days, it was green tasting for quite a bit longer than my other batches of wheat left to finnish on the yeast cake.

Hope this helps.

Ya it's short. I know it has more to go I guess my question is the banana like smell from the high temp. Does being on the cake longer make it worse? Stay the same? Dunno if secondary would be better? Or is it best to let it ride for another week then move it. Thanks for your response.

Ya it's short. I know it has more to go I guess my question is the banana like smell from the high temp. Does being on the cake longer make it worse? Stay the same? Dunno if secondary would be better? Or is it best to let it ride for another week then move it. Thanks for your response.

The banana like smell was produced during the high temp fermentation, I don't believe that leaving it on the yeast will make it worse, but Im not really sure, maybe a brewer more experienced with banana esters could pop in and answer that better.

I would leave it on the yeast, like I stated, for the reasons I stated.

I do know that time/age will mellow the banana smell/taste in your brew.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I shall leave it there for another weeks or so unless someone else chimes in. Hope it doesn't ruin the ipa. It's not a high gravity beer 1.068 and using notty. Again never had this happen in my ipas so no experience on it. Always a learning experience no matter how many brews I do.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I shall leave it there for another weeks or so unless someone else chimes in. Hope it doesn't ruin the ipa. It's not a high gravity beer 1.068 and using notty. Again never had this happen in my ipas so no experience on it. Always a learning experience no matter how many brews I do.

Your quite welcome.

Always a learning experience no matter how many brews I do.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is, even on the brews I repeat often lol

2 weeks total time in primary is what I do most of the time, seems to be a good/generic amount of time for most brews.

Cheers and best of luck, let me know how it turns out :tank:

Ya this recipie I've used for 2 yrs now. Changing hop times and hops only. Ill update this thread with pics. Not much to see but it's very orange like in color. I removed the blowoff tube cause if already blew its load. It bubbling 3 times a min. The liquid inside is clear at the top. All krausen is plastered to the head space lol.

image-2561207492.jpg

Make sure that airlock is clear. I don't use those corks anymore. Clogged airlock sheared a bottle in half on an IPA I made. Luckily it was in a bathtub.

The banana like smell was produced during the high temp fermentation, I don't believe that leaving it on the yeast will make it worse, but Im not really sure, maybe a brewer more experienced with banana esters could pop in and answer that better.

I would leave it on the yeast, like I stated, for the reasons I stated.

I do know that time/age will mellow the banana smell/taste in your brew.

Yep...

I would give it time... the high heat can cause those banana notes but you might get lucky with some age,,, and I mean a couple months.

But go about your normal procedure and you might get lucky.

What yeast did you use?

What do you figure the highest temp was?

Hoppity said:
Make sure that airlock is clear. I don't use those corks anymore. Clogged airlock sheared a bottle in half on an IPA I made. Luckily it was in a bathtub.

Ya it's clear.. it's bubbling so air can get through.
Not sure i can picture what you're saying about how a clogged airlock can cut my Carboy? the bung should be able to expand a little even if the plastic lock decided to split? But of it can do that then that's crazy. I'd lose my sh$t lol. Sorry it happened to you....actually.... I'm going to take mine out and clean it just for the hell of it. :)

Back