Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megagrip

Reaction score
Hello,
I had a quick question about a Belgian Dark Strong Ale that I'm currently brewing at the moment. It has spent 17 days in the primary and the current gravity reading is 1.030

According to the recipe the FG should be around 1.019 with an OG of 1.081. How much longer do you think I need to keep my beer in the primary before i transfer over to the secondary? The yeast seem to still be active as I am seeing bubbles in the airlock once per 8 seconds.

The primary fermenter temp has been 64 to 72 degrees.

Cheers!

Airlock activity doesn't mean fermentation is going on. Only way to tell is by taking hydrometer readings. Can you post your recipe? That might tell us where you might need to be. If you are using DME/LME, you might not get the FG that you expect.

Mouse

What yeast are you using?

Belgian yeasts can take some time to finish. You mentioned 64- 72 degrees. Has it been changing? If it got warm then dropped to 64 it may have slowed the yeast. It is best to let Belgian yeasts finish out.

There is a great .quote from Brew Like a Monk.

"Let the ferntation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%."

Don't rush the brew.

Agree with beergolf. My preferred style is Belgians and they do take quite a bit of time to finish; typically longer than the 'usual' style.

Latest posts

Back