Need the Yooper on this one!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm confused.... Stone states in the Craft of Stone Brewing Co that they use on some beers only a 10min or 20min sacc rests?!?!?! WTH is up with that and how do you get your gravity from only 10-20min?
Case in point: Stone Pale Ale is only 20min @ 156
Stone Smoked Porter 10min @ 157.:confused:

Most of your conversion happens in the first 15 minutes of the mash. That's why it's so important to hit your temperatures right on from the start.

You can use the Iodine test to confirm that conversion is complete, but most homebrewers simply err on the conservative side and just do a 60 minute mash. Anything that hasn't converted after 60 minutes isn't going to convert at all.

Good thing you got an answer- as I have no idea! :cross:

I know some breweries use mash rakes, which would increase the speed and efficiency of conversion, and some do a multistep mash (say, 30 minutes at 149 and 20 minutes at 156, then mashout) but I'm not any sort of authority on big breweries.

I've tried an experiment on the speed of conversion using BIAB and an iodine test for starch. The first sample was immediately at mash in, the second was at 7 minutes and the third was planned for 10 minutes with another every 5 until I could show conversion. The one at mash in definitely had starch as the color changed to dark blue when the iodine was added, the second one had no starch. No color change when the iodine was added so I had conversion in less than 7 minutes and I quit testing. To do that you need a very fine crush or grind as I do with BIAB. If you were to use a conventional tun with that fine of a grind, you couldn't get the wort out so you do some compromises and crush the grain instead of grinding it fine and then to compensate for the thicker pieces and the slower time for them to wet through you mash longer. That's why you do a 60 minute mash.

Sweet! Thanks all. Learning that The Brewmasters Bible has alot of good info in it, if you can find it. One thing I was looking for but did not find on the topic of conversion is will 60min give you a higher SRM over a mash you sparge right after conversion. I ask because I see ones doing a clone and stating that color is just off but otherwise close. Would 60min give you a bigger flavor profile and darker SRM.

Im thinking that rest times will play a big role in the outcome of a clone more than what was thought.

Is it okay to use a highlighter in a Bible???:p Time to get some sticky tabs for this thing.

Some breweries add additional amalayse enzymes to speed up conversion.

I have theory on why a 60 min. mash. An episode of Kojak was one hour long.

Back