I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got gift packages ready today, handmade cards with potted oregano, garlic chives and apple mint. All perennials that will keep multiplying and grow year after year. Instructions included. For the people helping us with the roof, trees coming down and hubby's doctor and nurses, and some others also helping us right now.

Interesting you say that. From a neuroscience perspective, the "reward" you get when you're fishing for replies like that and find one is nearly the same as you'd get from a line of cocaine or a hit of crack.

Oh, so that must be why my crackhead friend and I get along so well, we DO have something in common!

I shouldn't be calling him that, sounds so bad, but only met him in person once and now we are distant phone friends. And he admits openly he is a crackhead,

I got gift packages ready today, handmade cards with potted oregano, garlic chives and apple mint. All perennials that will keep multiplying and grow year after year. Instructions included. For the people helping us with the roof, trees coming down and hubby's doctor and nurses, and some others also helping us right now.

Those are awesome gifts! I'd love to receive something like that.

How are your hop rhizomes doing? How many and what types did you plant?

5 of the 8 I planted have already popped up and sprouted tiny leaves in just 4 days. They seem very happy, which is a good sign so far.

The three existing hop plants I have are in a spot that doesn't get as much sun as they should, and they just do "ok". The new ones were planted in a better spot, and I can already tell they like it.

How are your hop rhizomes doing? How many and what types did you plant?

5 of the 8 I planted have already popped up and sprouted tiny leaves in just 4 days. They seem very happy, which is a good sign so far.

The three existing hop plants I have are in a spot that doesn't get as much sun as they should, and they just do "ok". The new ones were planted in a better spot, and I can already tell they like it.

Oh, my rhizomes are sprouting nicely! I think I did 5 varieties and about 4 of each, 20 started in 3 gallon pots. I know the magnum are coming up. I have so much stuff growing out there, will have to check again, they are marked. A couple other varieties have poked their heads out too. I will try to remember to get pictures! I have them next to my metal shed so though the area is shaded, the reflection of the sun off the metal, provides plenty for my other full sun loving plants. I am sure the hops will be happy there for a month or 2 until I figure out where to put them permanently in the ground.

Gods I must be well stupid. I am giving away 45 cord of wood in the next few weeks to folks that need it for free. And doing it in the name of a wonderful lady who has Alzheimers and has no clue I am doing it.

I guess it is all good though. This was the 2 trees that killed her husband and I have known her for the best part of 50 years and this is what she would want.

Damn man I am going to be so dang busy I fear my drinking is going to be hampered and that just sucks.

Sigh I do not mind helping others and would do the same no matter what but it is the time line I put on myself that is going to be a killer. I am going to run myself ragged for a bit and while for a good thing I fear is not going to be easy because I am not as young as I used to be.

Ok done with self beating rant. Carry on

Gods I must be well stupid. I am giving away 45 cord of wood in the next few weeks to folks that need it for free. And doing it in the name of a wonderful lady who has Alzheimers and has no clue I am doing it.

I guess it is all good though. This was the 2 trees that killed her husband and I have known her for the best part of 50 years and this is what she would want.

Damn man I am going to be so dang busy I fear my drinking is going to be hampered and that just sucks.

Sigh I do not mind helping others and would do the same no matter what but it is the time line I put on myself that is going to be a killer. I am going to run myself ragged for a bit and while for a good thing I fear is not going to be easy because I am not as young as I used to be.

Ok done with self beating rant. Carry on

I don't care what everyone on here says.... You're really not all that bad! :cross:

Regardless of what your spiritual beliefs are, you're a good guy! Nothing wrong with helping those that need the help. If they don't even know you're helping them it's even better, because it speaks volumes as to the kind of person you are. Keep up the good work my friend!

Subsailor said:
I think for some of us, it shows our age and the era our parents brought us up in
Solid post Subsailor. I am trying to raise my kids more or less exactly as you did. We do buy some cookies and so forth, but between my wife and I who are both accomplished cooks and DIY'ers, we are giving it a good shot. Kids these days have been programmed to throw things away and not take care of your stuff. Just a couple days ago my son was wanting to throw away the plastic lawn rake because the cheap wooden threads stripped out of the plastic rake body. I made him figure out how to fix it, instead of throwing it away. In the end he decided to drill a screw through the rake part and the handle - thing's stronger than ever and I was proud as hell lol. We're not raising sissy kids around here. I shudder to think of the mentality of THESE kids kids generation.

How did the two trees kill him?

A couple of years ago we had a freak wind storm that blew the trees onto the house and crushed him while he was in bed. I had the insurance people move the trees into the pasture where they have been seasoning.

I am simply not going to be able to honor the timeline I fear unless I call in some favors. Every year I donate some wood but I have kept it down to 20 or so cord because I am getting old and cannot do as much. But this year my buddy caught me after I had drank some of my beer and I committed to a ton more than I think I can deliver

I should probably put a bit more into the karma bank than I have been. I try to be kind and patient (I always find it easier to be kind than patient), but I've noticed a general crankiness that has been increasing in my city and in the world in general lately. Maybe if I do some good works on my end I can change that an iota. Maybe not.

By the way, all this talk of donating wood reminded me of a story I read in a history class in college. A Puritan gentleman, I forget his name, was looking out his window when he spied his neighbor stealing some of his firewood. This was a lot bigger an offense at the time, considering a winter with inadequate firewood could kill you and everyone in your house. But, instead of running his neighbor off or contacting the magistrate he showed up at the man's door... with a large basket of firewood. "My dear brother, how could I be so remiss?? I failed to make certain that my neighbor and his family had enough wood to see them through. How else could it be that he would have to rifle from the pile I hoarded for myself?"

And the neighbor turned into a crying, quivering mass. THAT'S how I want to live my life and THAT'S how I want to raise my future kids.

One thing I'd like to caution against, however, is the temptation to label generations. Things arent as bad now as they may seem, and they werent as great "back then" as we think they were. I think the real trick is to incorporate historical ideas with "new" ideas. After all, if you go back less than 25 years we had exponentially higher gang violence and crack addiction rates. Go back just over 50 years and it was still ok to make a man stand or go to the back of a bus (we all know why). Lead was used in tooth paste and post partum depression was sometimes treated with a hysterectomy. My grandmother received a pamphlet from a local church advocating spankings entitled "A Beating is Good for the Soul".

But then on the other hand, most foods, even candies were made of local, natural and dare I say sustainable ingredients, the idea of "community" meant a lot more, and people on the heels of the Depression knew more than I will ever know about stretching out a purchase at the grocery store into multiple meals. These are just examples.

/rant

Creamy, I agree with avoiding labeling anything or anybody. I do remember the bad and the good of days gone by. I try very hard to avoid general labels on individuals or groups but to this day have relatives that harken back to "When those people are in groups, you better watch out" We don't visit those relatives.
I was born in the late 50s, grew up mostly on a farm in Central Ohio and then Central Michigan, we had a very large amount of interaction with our Depression Era Grandparents which is how I think I got to be the way I am on conserving and reusing and (just for you Creamy, eating all the crazy things I've eaten around the world). They taught us that all we have this World is our Name and actions towards others. They taught us the Golden Rule, Treat Others as You would be Treated - so far in my life, it works.
I think what I mostly miss and worry about for the future is the seeming decline in personal acountability and responsibility.

Creamy, I agree with avoiding labeling anything or anybody. I do remember the bad and the good of days gone by. I try very hard to avoid general labels on individuals or groups but to this day have relatives that harken back to "When those people are in groups, you better watch out" We don't visit those relatives.
I was born in the late 50s, grew up mostly on a farm in Central Ohio and then Central Michigan, we had a very large amount of interaction with our Depression Era Grandparents which is how I think I got to be the way I am on conserving and reusing and (just for you Creamy, eating all the crazy things I've eaten around the world). They taught us that all we have this World is our Name and actions towards others. They taught us the Golden Rule, Treat Others as You would be Treated - so far in my life, it works.
I think what I mostly miss and worry about for the future is the seeming decline in personal acountability and responsibility.

I'll take that one farther, Treat Others as THEY Would Want to Be Treated. There's the holy grail :). I tend to avoid hanging out in groups of male friends when I know the ball-busting and wrassling is going to break out. Not my thing, but if thats how they have a good time who am I to tell them they shouldnt.

I knew what you meant, Sailor, I just thought it bore mentioning. What if we could teach our kids to conserve what can be conserved but still exhibit spending patterns that help the economy grow? Is it impossible to mix the two values? Work hard but dont let management take advantage of you. Party hard while you can but don't party stupid.

Im feeling a bit philosophic today...

Party hard while you can but don't party stupid.QUOTE]

That is a thought I wish my youngest had taken to heart. he is facing some serious jail time due to stupid partying and since he is 21, we don't have alot of info as to what all is going on. We went to arraignment last Friday and it's not good. He looked right at us and said - I wish I listened to you guys, you always tell us "make good choices" and I made very poor choices that weekend.

Party hard while you can but don't party stupid.QUOTE]

That is a thought I wish my youngest had taken to heart. he is facing some serious jail time due to stupid partying and since he is 21, we don't have alot of info as to what all is going on. We went to arraignment last Friday and it's not good. He looked right at us and said - I wish I listened to you guys, you always tell us "make good choices" and I made very poor choices that weekend.

I'm really really sorry to hear that, Sailor. All of my best wishes, as feeble as they are in a practical sense.

Thanks Mate!

On an uplifting note, you and few others on HBT are making me more interested in visiting some of our great cities and sitting down to a homebrew together and just chew the fat. Heck, I might even be tempted to try some aged Okra Mead.
I am not a city fan but I'm coming around to entertaining the possbility of visiting a few. My Wife gives me a hard time every time I have to go into Anchorage (POP:295,000 over about 1500sqmi) and she says your nuckles whiten on the steering wheel the closer we get. When we're heading out you seem to breathe easier. We live about 15 miles North of Anchorage.

Thanks Mate!

On an uplifting note, you and few others on HBT are making me more interested in visiting some of our great cities and sitting down to a homebrew together and just chew the fat. Heck, I might even be tempted to try some aged Okra Mead.
I am not a city fan but I'm coming around to entertaining the possbility of visiting a few. My Wife gives me a hard time every time I have to go into Anchorage (POP:295,000 over about 1500sqmi) and she says your nuckles whiten on the steering wheel the closer we get. When we're heading out you seem to breathe easier. We live about 15 miles North of Anchorage.

I'd love to hang out and chew the fat, Sailor. Just remember, once you are IN a city, no matter where you are, you are in a small neighborhood :D. Its travelling around the city that is different, but being in a bar or an apartment in a city is little different from being in a bar or an apartment in smalltown America.

One thing HBT has taught me is I have to get off my high horse when it comes to geography. Every state in the union, including all the ones that I always thought were safe to make fun of, are represented here by some awesome people.

I thought of you when I saw this, BL..

image-1892246571.jpg

Good evening late nite crew. Hope all is well.

Bobbi gave me hell for my last Nanci Griffith song. Something about accosting her sensitive ears. So here's another. Nanci's great, you just have to get used to her.

A submission, for your late nite soundrack:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbi gave me hell for my last Nanci Griffith song. Something about accosting her sensitive ears. So here's another.

So you enjoy making my ears bleed, I see. Maybe I will listen in a minute but afraid to click on it, after what happened last time. That was awful.

Yes. I pour some into the mushroom sauce just before I serve it. Then a sprinkle of basil. Wife is eating it now (she just returned from the gym).

That sounds really good right about now!

I picked up a couple veal schnitzel's from a local German sausage maker that I plan on cooking some time in the next few days.

CreamyGoodness said:
Im so conflicted. They are so delicious, yet so adorable. Being liberal is hard.
Only liberals could manage to bring politics into bacon ;)
lschiavo said:
I bet they're extra yummy at that age. Just undress, pop in the smoker and hold down the lid for a few minutes.
You sir, are an evil man. He needs at least another month on him.
passedpawn said:
Mmmm, Jaegerschnitzel tonight. My schnitzel is perfect. The Jaeger sauce was great too, but could be improved (needs more roux, creamier). But big win tonight, kids ate it and wanted more.
Making what my kids call "epic burritos" tonight. Beans, rice, guacamole, cheese, stewed chili chicken-like product, and then I serve them wet with spicy enchilada sauce over the top. They will eat 3 each and still look as scrawny as they did before.
passedpawn said:
Yes. I pour some into the mushroom sauce just before I serve it. Then a sprinkle of basil. Wife is eating it now (she just returned from the gym).
Ahh, another "my wife is hot" post ;)

My mower has some kind of trivial problem and cuts out after you start it, probably a dirty carb. I need the grass mowed last weekend. So, I borrow my neighbors. He tells me "ahh it smokes a little, but don't worry about it. If it breaks down you owe me a new one though." As you can see, he wasn't exaggerating. When I went through the heavy grass it was sputtering and actually started blowing some rapid fire perfect smoke rings though, which was cool. People were driving by looking at me like I was personally responsible for climate change though, which was not cool.

image-1053449112.jpg

Only liberals could manage to bring politics into bacon ;)

You sir, are an evil man. He needs at least another month on him.

Making what my kids call "epic burritos" tonight. Beans, rice, guacamole, cheese, stewed chili chicken-like product, and then I serve them wet with spicy enchilada sauce over the top. They will eat 3 each and still look as scrawny as they did before.

Ahh, another "my wife is hot" post ;)

My mower has some kind of trivial problem and cuts out after you start it, probably a dirty carb. I need the grass mowed last weekend. So, I borrow my neighbors. He tells me "ahh it smokes a little, but don't worry about it. If it breaks down you owe me a new one though." As you can see, he wasn't exaggerating. When I went through the heavy grass it was sputtering and actually started blowing some rapid fire perfect smoke rings though, which was cool. People were driving by looking at me like I was personally responsible for climate change though, which was not cool.

Remove the air filter and see if it keeps doing that.

Re: wife, you'll never know. I married into the trifecta though, I'll say that.

Latest posts

Back