I need a few pointers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amfukuda

Reaction score
Hi I'm kind of new to home brewing. I've brewed four batches so far and they all taste pretty good but they all seem to come out flat I was hoping someone could help me fix that

I've been using Kits from the local brew shop so far and have been goin by their instruction sheet. Then I ferment in a freezer I have temp controlled to be around 65-70 and then add the priming sugar provided in the kit then put it in bottles. I don't know If that helps.

And then? How long are you little them sit in bottles? At what temp are you storing them? How long do you chill one before opening it? Also, what is your bottling process? Are you using a bottling bucket? Do you dissolve the priming sugar in boiling water?

I use a bottling bucket to rack the beer and I just use boil the provided sugar then put the bottle back in the freezer and keep them at about seventy then leave them for a week or two

When you say "flat", do you mean that they are not carbonated properly? or that the taste is flat/bland/unexciting? That can help us zero in on if its a recipe/brewing thing or a bottling problem

Are you making sure that the bottle caps are completely compressed / sealed? Sometimes if you don't cap it tight enough, a small gap will allow the CO2 produced during bottle conditioning to escape. Now, if all of your bottles are flat then I'm not sure this is the case, but something to keep in mind. How much sugar are you using, how much water are you boiling it in, and what size batch are you brewing? Do you cold crash your wort prior to racking into your bottling bucket?

are you going to make Chsrecat pull your information out of your brain so we can help or what, we're not mind readers but we do want to help. What they are asking is what do you mean flat and please detail your process, and dont worry it'll get better

Iv been following the directions in the box and I think it's about a cup of sugar mixed in a cup of water but don't quote me on the exact measurement. I've been doing five gallon batches. And they have all been flat although I guess under carbonated is a better word. Also I'm not sure what cold crashing is

I use a bottling bucket to rack the beer and I just use boil the provided sugar then put the bottle back in the freezer and keep them at about seventy then leave them for a week or two

try 3-4 weeks
also bottles in the freezer might be getting chilled when it cycles if they are touching walls. I like to use some cardboard or something under the bottles, the the very least 6-pack holders.

I'm sorry if I'm not providing enough information im still really new to all this and don't know what all is needed from me

The kits that we sell are targetted for 5 gallons, and we include a 4oz. bag of corn sugar. I recommend 4oz. corn sugar in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes, then cool to 75-80°F. Add this into your bottling bucket, and rack your fermented wort on top. I take a VERY CLEAN and VERY SANITIZED stainless steel spoon and stir the mixture for about 10 seconds, trying to prevent any splashing or oxidation. Continue to bottle, leave in 70-75°F for 2 weeks (keep covered from light), then put one in the fridge and drink it one day after allowing it to chill / settle. If that one is good, I put the rest in. If that one was undercarbonated, I wait another day until I try another beer. Continue the process until you have a carbonated bottle, then put the rest in the fridge.

Hopefully this helps. Also - just as an FYI, cold crashing a beer is when you bring the temperature of your fermenter down to ~33-35°F. This "crashes" most of the floating sediment, yeast, hop particles etc to the bottom of the fermenter, and usually provides you with a clearer beer in the end. This is not recommended for bottle conditioning however, simply due to the fact that you're not going to have any yeast left in suspension to ferment the priming sugar in the bottle.

Cheers!

I'm sorry if I'm not providing enough information im still really new to all this and don't know what all is needed from me

we want your entire process start to finish be cause were beer geeks., youtube videos are always enjoyed. We've watched other peoples beer ferment on youtube :D

but everything does matter when diagnosing a problem.
you have good temp control awesome, your batch priming, just knowing that helps us a lot.

I think your not waiting long enough.

No worries, thats what we're here for. I have asked questions like this as well before. Amandabab has the right idea if you are not letting your bottles carbonate long enough. There are several threads and a really great sticky on carbonation. Stickies are at the top of the thread chart. Usually three weeks is MINUMUM and can take several weeks depending on yeast, temps, and bottling sugars. Which is what Chsrecat was tryin to get at, what were your methods? Crash cooling is when you turn them temp on the fridge way down so everything falls to the bottom, when you do that yeasts in suspension may fall out, but not enough to stop carbonation.

Thanks y'all have been really helpful and it just occurred to me that I never let the priming sugar water cool down befor I put it in the bottling bucket

Home warm is your home? Just leaving your bottles in boxes (12 pack or case storage box ect.) In a room that is 70 or warmer for 3 weeks will work. Use that temp controlled freezer open for new batches. Also 1 cup for 5 gallons seems a bit much. Get yourself a cheap scale at wallmart or somewhere and use an online calculator to figure out how much sugar to use. I see 2/3 to 3/4 cups in most recioes if you dont have a scale. After conditioned for 3 weeks put one in the fridge for at least 3 days (many here say 5-7)

Edit. It takes me way to long to type on a tablet. lol

Thanks y'all have been really helpful and it just occurred to me that I never let the priming sugar water cool down befor I put it in the bottling bucket

Not to confuse you further, but this step isn't necessary and is not the cause of your undercarbonated beer. Undercarbed beer only comes from three things:

1. MOST COMMONLY: not enough time!! leave for at LEAST 3 weeks at 70*F. Longer for higher gravity beers.

2. Not enough priming sugar --> not enough CO2 produced to sufficiently carb.

3. Poor seal on cap so CO2 escapes bottle

As stated, #1 is likely your problem.

That's generally not an issue. It's such a small volume compared to the 5 gallons of beer you're racking on top of it.

Another question... You try try one, are you chilling it long enough before you open it?
When you first carbonate a bottle of beer, most of the CO2 is trapped in the headspace between the top of the beer and the bottle cap. Colder liquids hold more CO2 so when you put that bottle in the fridge, it will slowly absorb into the beer. This can take a while. If you open the beer before it has a chance to equalize pressure, most of the CO2 will escape when you pop the top and you'll end up with a much lower carb level. Generally, I'll make sure they get at least 24 hours in the fridge before I judge the carb level. Not that I won't take one out and drink it before then... I just know it's not going to as carbed as the next one will be. :D

I normally try one after is sat i the ice box for a day but even some of the ones From first few batches that I've had in the fridge for a good while are under carbonated and have almost no fizz or head

...This is not recommended for bottle conditioning however, simply due to the fact that you're not going to have any yeast left in suspension to ferment the priming sugar in the bottle.

Cheers!

Is this really the case? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that there are still so many yeast cells in the suspension that cold crashing couldn't possibly put a dent in their effectiveness.

I'm asking in a bit of a panic as I have two batches bottle conditioning as we speak (my first two!) where I gave them a 24 hour crash just before bottling.

Back