Beersmith Mobile iPhone/iPad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
Now available in the App Store.

Very tempting. Photos of the app look great. I am currently an iBrewMaster user but this app is temping.

I believe that if you already bought the lite app for about $3.99 I think then Brad will credit that amount towards the full app

It was $7.99 on the App Store. It's downloading now. I have the Lite version, they said there would be an in app purchase to upgrade, but would take another month. I don't use my laptop when brewing, only the iPad, so not worth waiting for $4 difference. Can't wait to use the full version on iPad.

It's pretty cool for sure. Saved my profiles to my iPad and all is good. It did freeze on me once when opening my mash profiles, just stopped it and restarted with no further issues

Rick

So it does look interesting, as I already own lite... But question: I don't use Beersmith on the computer, nor do I own it. Would I be unable to set my equipment profile from within iOS Beersmith? I read through the description on the App Store and it does indeed appear to be that way, that you must sync a profile over to make the recipes calculate correctly to your setup.

If so, that is a huge oversight.

Could one of you that has purchased this confirm?

241 said:
So it does look interesting, as I already own lite... But question: I don't use Beersmith on the computer, nor do I own it. Would I be unable to set my equipment profile from within iOS Beersmith? I read through the description on the App Store and it does indeed appear to be that way, that you must sync a profile over to make the recipes calculate correctly to your setup.

If so, that is a huge oversight.

Could one of you that has purchased this confirm?

You can make your own profiles. There are about 20 pre set options, but can also enter custom profiles.

I used the trial on the computer, but it just was not convenient to use during a brew day. Tablets are perfect for this.

I have only had 15 minutes of exploring the new iPad version, it's good, but will take more experimenting to be proficient. The one aspect I was looking for was an automatic efficiency calculation. You have to edit a recipe to enter notes, and I have yet t find efficiency.

Editing and making recipes is the best feature of the new version thus far.

You can make your own profiles. There are about 20 pre set options, but can also enter custom profiles.

I used the trial on the computer, but it just was not convenient to use during a brew day. Tablets are perfect for this.

I have only had 15 minutes of exploring the new iPad version, it's good, but will take more experimenting to be proficient. The one aspect I was looking for was an automatic efficiency calculation. You have to edit a recipe to enter notes, and I have yet t find efficiency.

Editing and making recipes is the best feature of the new version thus far.

Cool, thanks. I saw dDub link to those videos and I watched them all. I've been so used to ibrewmaster that those lacking features among others would be a deal breaker for me. And I like the calendaring that ibrewmaster has with fermentation primary, secondary, keg/bottle and serve dates. And how it breaks up the actual recipe and the batch you brewed with notes.

Anyway I'll still buy it once the in app lite to 2 upgrade is available, the brew day screen does look great with the timer and alarms

Not meaning to be a hater but for $28 for the Mac/PC version, I'm kinda shocked the mobile solutions aren't included. Yikes, that's a lot of money for multi-device software.

Not meaning to be a hater but for $28 for the Mac/PC version, I'm kinda shocked the mobile solutions aren't included. Yikes, that's a lot of money for multi-device software.

This is software that is used by professional brewers as well as home brewers. I think too many people think software should be free, or close to it. This is an independent developer, not a huge company. This is his life and he produces a product that I enjoy.

When Beersmith was developed, hell-even when the new version was released, I don't think he ever anticipated people using this on their phones, but he has adapted to a growing market. Maybe in the future it will be included with a package discount, but in the meantime it is what it is.

I agree. To me, both versions seem like a good value for the quality and content. It is not cheap, fast or easy to write quality software programs. Then Apple and Google take their cut on the App Store versions.

How are the inventory and batch history features? Good?

Also can someone confirm you only have to pay once to have app on both your iPad and iPhone.

241 said:
Cool, thanks. I saw dDub link to those videos and I watched them all. I've been so used to ibrewmaster that those lacking features among others would be a deal breaker for me. And I like the calendaring that ibrewmaster has with fermentation primary, secondary, keg/bottle and serve dates. And how it breaks up the actual recipe and the batch you brewed with notes.

Anyway I'll still buy it once the in app lite to 2 upgrade is available, the brew day screen does look great with the timer and alarms

I have iBrewmaster as well. Though I have really only used it for recipe ideas and references. After you mentioned the calendaring, I looked into it more, that feature does look helpful, especially with a full pipeline.

I did read a thread about their upcoming version 2 software and looked at the preview on their website. Once that is released I'll try it too.

alestateyall said:
Also can someone confirm you only have to pay once to have app on both your iPad and iPhone.

Confirmed. One version works on both. As long as you have the same Apple ID on both you only have to pay once.

I'm seriously considering buying this app for my android. I have beersmith 2 on my laptop and love it. I can easily bring my laptop outside when I brew...so is the phone app worth it? Can I sync my recipes from my laptop to my phone and vice versa?

That all depends on how much you value convenience. I myself would rather bring my phone into my brewery than my laptop. You get the same functionality either way.

dgez said:
I'm seriously considering buying this app for my android. I have beersmith 2 on my laptop and love it. I can easily bring my laptop outside when I brew...so is the phone app worth it? Can I sync my recipes from my laptop to my phone and vice versa?

You can sync your profile with the app on your phone. Recipe editing and everything on the phone now

Released an important patch that fixes the lockup problem that some brewers encountered with late extract additions. Its out now for Android and Kindle and in review by Apple - I expect they will have it next week. Build 2.1.43. It also has a number of other fixes and an options page for hop IBU options.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Released an important patch that fixes the lockup problem that some brewers encountered with late extract additions. Its out now for Android and Kindle and in review by Apple - I expect they will have it next week. Build 2.1.43. It also has a number of other fixes and an options page for hop IBU options.

Brad

I bought Beersmith Mobile. Overall I like it.

2 things I would like to see changed:

1. The screen is jumpy. Every time you enter a value the screen flashes as it recomputes. This is a minor gripe but it would be nice if that went away.

2. I would like to be able to store my inventory of grains, hops, etc in the app. It would be especially nice if I could push a button to limit grain, hop addition screens to inventory on hand. PS. This may exist as I saw an "Store in my hops" button but am not sure what that did.

Great app though.

One bug is shown on the below screen shot from my iPhone. The app seems to zoom and unzoom at random times. Right not it is stuck zoomed in.

image-3611245756.jpg

I had to kill the app and restart to get it to work properly.

alestateyall said:
Does this app calculate efficiency? I can't find it.

I was also trying to find this, but have not found efficiency calculation yet. To even enter a batch, you have to edit a recipe. I just bought iBrewmaster2 and posted my thoughts versus the two on that thread. IBrewmaster2 calculates efficiencies on the fly. Overall I like iBrewmaster2 better than Beersmith full.

Added Beersmith2 for IPadl and see this as a very nice "companion" app to the full version. It is great on brew day, nice to edit and adjust recipes, and perfect to take with me to the LB shop.
It is not a replacement of the full version. My feeling is that is that Ibrewmaster is the way to go if you are looking for one all around mobile brewing software. If you want (I do) the most feature rich brewing software available along with a solid mobile companion, original BeerSmith and mobile BeerSmith are your babies.

Does the Beersmith app sync everything to my Beersmith 2 version on my Mac computer? i.e. if I am brewing at a different location, or create a recipe on my ipad, will all my new info be saved onto my Beersmith 2 file on my computer?

Does the Beersmith app sync everything to my Beersmith 2 version on my Mac computer? i.e. if I am brewing at a different location, or create a recipe on my ipad, will all my new info be saved onto my Beersmith 2 file on my computer?

I have not bought the app yet but I think you need to save things to the cloud. For free, you can save 15 recipes but outside of that, I think you need to subscribe (pay) to their site.

I have not bought the app yet but I think you need to save things to the cloud. For free, you can save 15 recipes but outside of that, I think you need to subscribe (pay) to their site.

OK, i pulled the trigger on the app.....how do i import/sync all my profiles / recipes to the ipad?

If I remember correctly, you must reenter and save your profiles to your iPad/iPhone. You might be able to save it from a recipe imported from the Cloud using the Store In My Profiles button, but i am not sure. To import recipes, use the Cloud and then copy to My Recipes.

Save recipes on desktop to cloud. Then open those recipes on mobile and save the profile and special ingredients to the mobile version from within the recipe.

Latest posts

Back