Bulk dry yeast handeling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I got a 500g pack of yeast and I hadnt really given much though to how I was going to split it up in smaller quantities for use, then it occurred to me might just be better off to wipe the pack with star san and make a small cut in the top corner, pour out what i need, drop the pack into a vacuum package bag and vac pack it up. Repeat as needed. Its either that or open it up, split it into the size batches I think i will need and reseal each one in a vacuum pack. Just wondering what others have done and if anyone has had problems splitting bulk yeast?

Humm... I never thought of doing that... I was going to start yeast ranching a bit but this is an idea.

I figure I use two 11 gram yeasts each time I brew and I guess I could get 22 brewing sessions... (about 242 gallons of beer) made if I did what you did...

Of course with my luck I would drop the damn thing one day and lose half of it,,, then saving nothing...

DPB

Back