flat quadruple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fischfam

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of a La Trappe Quadruple clone and used a vial of Trappist Ale high gravity yeast. I transferred to the secondary and basically the fermentation didn't stop (it slowed down but stopped) so I siphoned it off the yeast cake and put it in another per fermenter (3rd?). After priming with light DME as directed in the recipe the beer is totally flat. I tried one bottle with some table sugar in the bottle and waited a week, still flat. I also tried the carbonating tablets and they did nothing either. Can anyone tell me what my problem is other than flat beer. Thanks!

It sounds like there are a few things that could be improved: you don't need to transfer the beer twice, and only one vial of yeast was a massive underpitch. In terms of the carbonation though, I'd keep the bottles warm if you can (above 70 degrees) and try one again in 3 months.

thanks, I will let it age for a bit more and report back. BTW, this is the second batch I made with this recipe although the first one was primed with priming sugar and it carbonated just fine. BTW, I used one package of 'WYEAST TRAPPIST YEAST 3787' direct pitch activator , how much should I have used if one was too little for such as high specific gravity?

Most of us use the calculator at mrmalty.com. If you weren't making a starter, probably 4 packs or so.

Back