Where to buy apple juice in BIG containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_618

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made UpstateMike's Caramel Apple Cider, and it was damn good. So good that I'd like to keg my 1/2 Sanke with the stuff. Is there anywhere to get juice in bulk? I'd rather not buy tons of 96 oz. bottles. Can you get/order 5 gallon jugs of juice anywhere?

Thanks in advance! :)

There is another thread started with some info on Fresh Pressed here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/aquiring-cider-juice-408684/

If you just want store bought juice...try costco if you have a membership. They sell their Kirkland Fresh Pressed Brand in (2) 1 Gallon Jugs. Usually less than $9 for 2 Gallons. 1/2 barrel...I think is 7.5 gallons? So ferment 8 gallons and you should have enough to fill your keg for around $40+

Thanks! A regular half barrel is actually 15.5 gallons though. That's lotsa bottles of AJ. Haha

Haha. Now you see the dilemma. That'd be a lot of gallon jugs. I was hoping to get them in 5 gallon jugs somehow. Guess not, though. :(

Plenty of orchards will fill up a big container for you. Just not this time of year, gotta wait until harvest!

Question..... Is vitamin C considered a preservative to avoid when making cider? I've heard to try and use unpasteurized without any any preservatives to make a great hard cider. Thanks!

Vit c/ ascorbic acid is the same thing and is fine. It won't stop yeast from being happ!

hehawbrew said:
Vit c/ ascorbic acid is the same thing and is fine. It won't stop yeast from being happ!

Great! Thanks! I want to make a great batch and I'm still pretty new to homebrewing in general. I want a sweet cider rather than a dry. Any way to avoid a dry cider?

beaksnbeer said:
2 ways to do it backsweeten after the fermentation has finished or have more juice/sugar then the yeast can process ;)

Yep! Also, use a yeast that's not too hot. I use safale 05. The more sugar you add, the higher ABV you will get. After fermentation is complete, add some preservatives and back sweeten like ^^^ he said.

The next question is, do you want it carbonated or still?.

hehawbrew said:
Yep! Also, use a yeast that's not too hot. I use safale 05. The more sugar you add, the higher ABV you will get. After fermentation is complete, add some preservatives and back sweeten like ^^^ he said.

The next question is, do you want it carbonated or still?.

I do plan on carbonating in bottles so is there a need for a priming sugar if I back sweeten the cider?

Well, it would carb up, but would either creat a gusher or bottle bomb. Unless you plan to force carb with a keg system, it's gonna be tricky to get a sweet, sparkling cider. You could use a nonfermentable sugar like Splenda, but, that could taste funny.

Here has been my most successful cider.

Per gallon:
1 clove
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice or nut meg
1 cinnamon stick
Safale 05
Teaspoon nutrient

Let it sit in primary a month so. I transfer to secondary, add some oak chips, when the chips sink, bottle it!

Back