Just Planted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first hop garden, 5 cascade rhizhomes. I'm very excited. In the past I've only grown tomatoes, peppers, eggplants. Why make sauce when I can make beer?

They are a beast, for sure. I yielded 2.5 lbs of dry cones last year on my 2nd year Cascade plant, as compared to 7 oz of Centennial. I'm thinking 5 plants might be about 4 plants too many :D. I'd go for 5 individual varieties of hops over 5 of the same; that is, unless you are a complete cascade hophead!! :p

Thanks. I'm thinking they won't all survive. I've read that you should plant two per mound, so I really expect two plants. My garden is only about 3'x6', so I only have room for one variety.
If it works out I may clear out some vines and saplings from the back hill.

Thanks. I'm thinking they won't all survive. I've read that you should plant two per mound, so I really expect two plants. My garden is only about 3'x6', so I only have room for one variety.
If it works out I may clear out some vines and saplings from the back hill.

I planted 96... 92 have come up so I wouldn't count on only 2 coming up. The 4 that haven't come up have eyes on them so they will eventually even if they don't do anything this year.

Well that would explain why my cascade plants are the ones that have grown the most! I need to go back and check my records to see what the others ones are that are sprouting.

I'm worried that 4 of the varieties I planted didn't have eyes on them.... hoping they'll still come up!

fwiw, I buried an eyeless 6 inch long/ half inch thick piece of "root" I cropped from one of my third year Cascades last week, and it has already popped up three shoots...

Cheers!

Man that's awesome Day tripper. I'm hoping the same happens with my 4 other variets I planted.

Hops are worse than weeds. They will grow! They can last through harsh winters. If you can grow weeds you can grow hops. Enjoy

I am a little concerned as my Crystal plant from last year hasn't come up yet. It was very healthy last year but we had a long cold winter. Is there still hope?

If it was "very healthy" last year then I would suspect that it will come back this year once the ground has warmed up sufficiently. If you have debris (old leaves, mulch, etc) on top of where the rhizomes are planted then try moving the debris around and look for any greenish/reddish nubs poking up from the ground.

Hops are worse than weeds. They will grow! They can last through harsh winters. If you can grow weeds you can grow hops. Enjoy

So true. 5 or 6 years back, i planed two cascades in an 8X4 raised bed. They have now completely taken over that bed and i need to prune the rhizomes every spring.

It seems like it'll be forever, but before you know it, you'll wish you planted fewer rhizomes or had more space.

Thanks. The hop garden is bounded by concrete all around, so it can fill right up over time. If it produces more than I need I'll trade them or give them away.

Can plants stall? Mine have hit the brakes. I transplanted yesterday and it appears to have sproute a few new bines what should i do with the mess that sprouted before its just a bush of tangled sick looking mess

image-234647260.jpg

Attachments

• image-1916706290.jpg
    image-1916706290.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 66
I think it's pretty normal for any plant to be a little shocked by a transplant. They'll be fine. The consensus seems to be not to cut selectively the first season.

Back