lookin for some belgian funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have to admit i do not know much about yeasties.
ive recently had a few commercial brews that i liked and im pretty sure the yeast is why.
they are anchorage galaxy white IPA, Stone cali-belgi IPA, and the omegang GOT beer. (dont mock me, i like the show and my woman picked us up a few bottles fopr the season premier)
I'm not even entirely sure what kind of beer i want to use it in, but i need to know what type of yeasties to buy.
i will also ask my lhbs, but would like to pretend i know what i want when i walk in the store.
thanks, guys!

I really enjoyed the "how rye I am" saison from the recipe database here. its a rye saison that uses wyeast 3711 or 3724. I used 3724 and it was outstanding, others have complained about attenuation problems with this variety, but mine finished at 1.006, so it was very nice and dry. I will be making another 11gals of this recipe again this summer. Some belgians, like trippels, require a bit of aging, but this saison i had carbed and drinking in 5 weeks (in the keg). so it may be a better option vs the abbey type belgians if you're wanting a shorter turn-around. anyways, there's my two cents.
:mug:

For the white ipa you probably want to try a belgian wit yeast like Wyeast 3944 or White Labs 400. Those both give some good funk, like you would get in Hoegaarden. The other two probably use a Belgian trappist strain of yeast. Try Wyeast 3787(Westmalle) or 3522 (Achouffe), or any of the trappist varieties. But I'd stay away from the 1762 Rochefort strain, as it behaves and tastes different than the other belgian strains.

hoegarden doesnt quite have the "funk" im after (you need to try that anchorage white IPA)
i guess the wyeast 3787 is my best bet?
have you guys had the beers i mentioned?

Try some of the beers from the trappist breweries and see which flavors you like. I'd think 3522 would give some nice funk for an IPA. I've used this yeast on a belgian blonde and belgian pale ale. They both had some nice funk without too much banana. The other Belgian trappist strains are 1214 Chimay and 1388 Duvel. You could look at the saison strain as well. I've had Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA, and if I were to clone that I'd go with the 3522 yeast.

Cali-Belgique uses WLP570, but 530 makes a tasty Belgian IPA as well.

To me, "funk" says brett, but without that, fermenting the belgians cool at first and slowly ramping them up to very hot will give you the best flavor.

i have to admit i do not know much about yeasties.
ive recently had a few commercial brews that i liked and im pretty sure the yeast is why.
they are anchorage galaxy white IPA, Stone cali-belgi IPA, and the omegang GOT beer. (dont mock me, i like the show and my woman picked us up a few bottles fopr the season premier)
I'm not even entirely sure what kind of beer i want to use it in, but i need to know what type of yeasties to buy.
i will also ask my lhbs, but would like to pretend i know what i want when i walk in the store.
thanks, guys!

I had the Anchorage Galaxy when I was in Alaska (lol I actually went to the brewery, which was closed to the public, talked to the owner....he pointed me to where I could try it...go figure).....anyway....that is a Brett beer....which depending on your level of brewing you may or may not want to get into. If you are near Trenton/Princeton check out Princeton Homebrew. Joe gets the ECY Bugfarm blends in from time to time (which may be worth a try--but that is some funk and I really didn't care for the Anchorage Galaxy....he didn't have ECY in earlier this week FYI, but call him). My favorite Belgian yeast is Wyeast 3711 (which they say is French).....it ferments well (all grain and extract) and will give you the esters you are looking for when you ferment it a little warmer--high 70's or low 80's. I will use that one anytime I need those funky Belgian esters in any style of beer. I am working with 3787 and its got a serious lag to it (making a big starter for a quad--if it finishes high, then 3711 to the rescue!). That being said, 3711 is what I would recommend.

I had the Anchorage Galaxy when I was in Alaska (lol I actually went to the brewery, which was closed to the public, talked to the owner....he pointed me to where I could try it...go figure).....anyway....that is a Brett beer....which depending on your level of brewing you may or may not want to get into. If you are near Trenton/Princeton check out Princeton Homebrew. Joe gets the ECY Bugfarm blends in from time to time (which may be worth a try--but that is some funk and I really didn't care for the Anchorage Galaxy....he didn't have ECY in earlier this week FYI, but call him). My favorite Belgian yeast is Wyeast 3711 (which they say is French).....it ferments well (all grain and extract) and will give you the esters you are looking for when you ferment it a little warmer--high 70's or low 80's. I will use that one anytime I need those funky Belgian esters in any style of beer. I am working with 3787 and its got a serious lag to it (making a big starter for a quad--if it finishes high, then 3711 to the rescue!). That being said, 3711 is what I would recommend.
this is exactly the kinda reply i was looking for. i will look into everything you said, and try the 3711 on my next brew.
thanks a ton, man!

You're welcome and I'm happy to help. I was going to add, if you are going to try to clone the Stone CaliBelgique then try the Stone IPA Clone Recipe (from BYO or CYBI Database) because rumor has it that the beer is Stone IPA with a Belgian yeast. Stone doesn't say which Belgian yeast they use for it, but 3711 would be a good choice for great attenuation. Let us know how it goes.

I'd ferment with a traditional yeast and throw in the dregs of some funky beer. There should be some funky brett in the bottom. Just pour gently, leave an inch or so on the bottom, and swirl and chuck into the fermenter.

Back