Hop % for 1 gal. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm brewin beer with my brother tonight. 1 gal. I was curious to know a percentage of hops would be good to add. I know I could ad the entire ounce, if I so choose too. But, did it. WOW! I'm using Chinook pellets. Or even how many pellets. I know it's not much. Especially Chinook. A ball park figure would be good to. As I'm probably gonna adjust recipe regardless. Thank you.

That is a tough question to answer with the info you are providing. An ounce of Chinook boiled for an hour in a 1 gallon batch will certainly pack a strong IBU punch. If you boil 1.5 gallons and end up with 1 gallon left at the end, at the Chinook is 13% AA, you've got 100+ calculated IBU's (I come up with 106.1).

What style of beer are you brewing? Or, more relevant to the question you are asking, do you have a target number of IBU's you are trying to hit?

Brewing software can really help you out with a question like this. You can enter the hops you want to use, amount of water, length of boil, alpha acid content and it will give you the calculated IBU's. Then you can make adjustments as needed (reduce amounts, user later additions, split up the ounce into multiple additions...) to get closer to your target. There are some websites that do this - I've heard of Brew Toad although I haven't used it - and there are programs you can download like BeerSmith and Brewtarget.

Why wouldn't you assume 20% or .2 or 1/5 oz?

Of course even the 1 oz for 5 gallons is merely a guideline and you should calculate the AA. But whatever it is for 5 gallons it should be 20% that for 1 gallon. More or less. There's hops utilization effects but there are hop utilization effects for other things such as when extract addition and boil off.

===add===
Oh wait. You aren't using a recipe at all and want to know how much of a 1 oz. package you should use?

Well, definately *not* the whole thing. (I mean the fact that your hops come in a 1 oz package is completely arbitrary.) Use a calculator to calculate desired IBUs. Or guesstimate by comparing to similar recipes.

===add===
Here, use this. .2 oz at 60, .2 at 20 and .2 at 5 will give you 100 IBU which is nice if you like IPAs. Half that much will give you 50 IBUs if you don't like IPAs.

Hops are definitely 1:1 scaleable. Whatever the recipe is at a 5 gallon yield, it will be 1/5 the grain and hops at 1 gallon, etc.

Doing a stout, as far as fractions to hit certain target numbers for a IBU.Not yet. Yes. I did 1 oz. 1 gal. 1 hour. Holy @#/$. Still condtining. Trying for a creamy stout.

Figured for a IBU. Bear with me. Figured, I'd find my level of hop bitter, aroma. Do that a few times. Then maybe calculate my IBU? Unless I'm just a jackass. I figured I'd calculon it then. Plus, I haven't delved into the hop world like I want to yet. I'm still in yeast land. Some one mentioned 1\5 of the ounce for the 1 gal I'm brewing. My brother, who I'm brewing with tonihght is a chemistry teacher. He maybe able to figure it as well. I wanted to ask some pros as well. Thank you all.

Holy bad grammar, Batman! :D

My brother, who I'm brewing with tonihght is a chemistry teacher. He maybe able to figure it as well.

You don't have to be a chemistry teacher. This is 4th grade math. Everything is scalable 1:1, so it is simple ratios! A 1 oz addition in a 5 gallon recipe should be a 1/5 ounce addition in a 1 gallon recipe, etc. But yes, a chemistry teacher should be able to do this math quite accurately :)

Maybe I am missing something... Using my mobile so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP said he was following a tried-and-true recipe, let alone how big of a recipe it was, and if this is a recipe entirely of his/her own creation then scaling based of amounts that were essentially a guess to begin with may not be the best solution?

Right. So 1 oz. in 1 gallon is the equivalent of 5 oz. in 5 gallons. Which is ... a lot...

Forgive me, but I would have thought this would be obvious. I mean using 1 oz of hops in a gallon batch of beer because that happens to be the size of package the hops come in is a bit like using a gallon of milk or a dozen eggs to bake a cake because that's the size the containers come in. Actually it's *worse* because you know you are making only 1/5 of the standard size batch.

I admire you for trying to systematically figure out what yeast does and then what hops do (I'm having trouble with this right now) but there are guidelines one can learn by by simply looking at a recipe. There are thousands of recipes out there and it behooves you to take a look.

*Heck* I'd even advice you *follow* one for your first beer or two.

Maybe I am missing something... Using my mobile so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP said he was following a tried-and-true recipe, let alone how big of a recipe it was, and if this is a recipe entirely of his/her own creation then scaling based of amounts that were essentially a guess to begin with may not be the best solution?

Yeah, but there's such a thing as common sense. 1 oz of hops in a 1 gallon batch is the equivalent of a 5 oz. of hops in 5 gallon batch. If that's what he wants, fine (On a scale of 0 to 120 where 0 is a fruit wine with no bitterness and 120 is an Imperial IPA, his would be a 278) but if he's asking advice about how much hops he should put in the advice is "without knowing what kind of beer you want we have no way of knowing; look at similar recipes and compare. By the way, amount scales with batch size so for 1 gallon use 1/5 as much as you would for 5 gallons."

Latest posts

Back