BIAB - Need to sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Does doing BIAB eliminate the need to sparge, or do I still need to do this?

mgr_stl said:

Not absolutely necessary for BIAB, but I find that if I hold 6-8qts back from the mash, and heat it to 170 for use in rinsing the bag while it's in a colander or otherwise suspended over the pot, that may get me a few more percentage points of efficiency. Maybe 3-5% more. IMO, as long as you do it one way or the other consistently and can predict your efficiency as a result, either is fine.

I think a rinse and a modest squeeze is easier than no rinse and squeezing like crazy!

Well, no one ever "needs" to sparge. There are lots of no-sparge brewers in BIAB as well as traditional mashing.

It really depends on how you are able to hit your goals. If you mash with a full volume and extract enough fermentables, then no, you wouldn't sparge.

Everybody's system is different- I always sparge but I have a traditional three vessel system.

You will still need to sparge to extract the maximum amount of sugars that were converted. Keep the sparge water temperature near, but under 170° to avoid tannin extraction form the grain hulls.

I do PB/PM BIAB myself. 5lbs of grains mashed in 2 gallons of water,then sparged with 1.5 gallons of water @ 165-168F. I think it's better to get dome more grain goodness in the BK than just adding water. Efficiency def goes up a little.

Define need. If I get near 80% efficiency without sparging, do I need to sparge? Probably not, but I sparge anyway to make sure I get enough for my pre-boil amount. That little (a quart or less) of cold water gains me another 5% or more. Would it help to use hotter water? Maybe but then I'd have another pot to wash.

Great thing about brewing is as long as you stay within the hard set parameters you can pretty much do what you like. I do not sparge and that works for me. And it leaves a little sugar sweetness on the grains that the chickens just love.

To each their own I suppose:mug:

I do both. For smaller batches I don't since I can fit all of the water+ grains in my kettle. For larger batches that I can only fit the water+ boiloff in my kettle I sparge. I do get an increase in efficiency but it adds more to the day.

When I do BIAB my end goal is simplicity so I do no sparge. I like to keep it as easy as possible so I eliminate the other pot and the pouring/dunking of hot liquids. I get about 75-80% efficiency that way.

The only time I have sparged while doing BIAB is when I have done 10 gallon batches. I've only done that twice in my keggle and couldn't fit enough water with a 20 lb grain bill to hit my preboil vol without sparging. However, I hated doing the 10 gal batch with BIAB. When I do a regular 5 gal batch, I do not sparge. I put the grain bag in bucket with holes in the bottom and let it drain while I bring the wort to boil. I get between 70-75% efficiency on a consistent basis and am pleased with that.

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up sparging (sort of), but ran into another issue. Was using a paint strainer bag and heating up to steeping temperature and it burnt a hole right through the bag! Whoops!

So all the grains escaped into the pot. The bag was in there for about 5 minutes, so I'm hoping there's not too much of a paint strainer bag flavor to this batch.

Ended up steeping per the directions 45 min around 155. Then used a spare bag to strain it into the rest of the water for the full boil. Poured 160 ish degree water over the grains. Never a dull moment. Now I'm just hoping my propane lasts through the boil.

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up sparging (sort of), but ran into another issue. Was using a paint strainer bag and heating up to steeping temperature and it burnt a hole right through the bag! Whoops!

I have the burner turned off before I put the bag in because it only takes seconds to do and the temperature won't drop enough to notice in that amount of time.

RM-MN said:
I have the burner turned off before I put the bag in because it only takes seconds to do and the temperature won't drop enough to notice in that amount of time.

I do the same and I don't typically heat during the mash or do a mashout. I actually find that I need to shut off the burner a few degrees short of my target strike temp because my keggle will continue to heat a bit right after shutting of the heat.

If you need to heat during the mash, or like to mash out, try putting a cake rake or veggie steamer at the bottom of the pot. Of course a false bottom serves the same purpose.

Back