Newbie needs re-sweetening help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olddogrib

Reaction score
Actually not a total newb. I enjoyed making hard cider 4-5 years ago and am just now getting back into it. Unfortunately, I experimented with every batch and kept poor notes. Just made a batch of one gallon with Whole Foods 360 pasteurized apple juice, with 1/3 lb. cane sugar and 1 gram Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast dissolved in 105 deg water. She's been bubbling nearly a week and still a day or so. Very dry, and I remember I used to re-sweeten, but have forgotten what I did. I know I've used Splenda, but I also have dextrose on hand and obviously used it for something. Can someone steer me in the right direction. I apologize for being in too big a hurry to do a proper search, but I'm ready to sample the "fruits of my labor"! I don't bottle, but merely siphon into a secondary clean jug and refrigerate until I need a splash, so kicking off a secondary fermentation shouldn't be an issue. thanks

Even if it's kept in the fridge? Can't make any messes, the chairwoman of the "house ways and means committee" will shut my operation down before it gets up and running! lol

Yes, even in refrig it does continue to ferment albeit slowly. Some yeasts are more cold sensitive than others, do not ask me which, but most yeasts tend to go dormant or percolate sluggishly. Most people tend to not have issues as long as they keep their 'live' bottled batches refrigerated, but there are the exceptions.
If you have no issues with a still cider you could always stabilize the dry cider with k-meta plus sorbate before backsweetening, or pasteurize. Or if you want a bottle carbed and shelf stable cider, you can stovetop pasteurize (see sticky section).

Back