Carbong my keg more after 1.5 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxofjibboo

Reaction score
So I have a hef, only 4 abv. I put 20 or 30 psi, I can't remember for 24 hrs after transferring to my keg. Then I turned it down to 12 psi. I checked yesterday and today, I see bubbles along the walls of my glass when I pour it, but no real bubbles floating up the middle of the glass. I turned it up to 20 psi to hopefully increase carbonation. If nothing tomorrow, should I shake or leave it till Saturday then turn it back down to serving pressure? Thanks everyone for the input

Oh, and that is really odd... I usually hit 30 psi for 24 hrs then back it off to 15 for about 2-3 days. Usually have carved (but green) beer...

Yeah I was expecting it to be good now, but still not very carbed. What I'm considering is rocking it a little, then letting sit for 24 hrs and letting the pressure off after. Will this still lead to over carbonated beer if I release the pressure and then turn serving pressure to 12 psi?

This is my second kegged homebrew.

I honestly don't know, but I know you can theoretically force carb in a day by putting it at 30 psi and rocking it for a little while (imagine a rocking chair, a proud dad and a keg with a swaddling blanket... happy Father's Day?).

Ok, seriously though, I would probably crank the glass back up to 20-30 for another day.

You're leaving the gas connection on the entire time, right?

I got into kegging last year. I make 10 gallon batches, so I fill two corny kegs each time. I'm impatient, so I usually carbonate one really quickly, and let the other one sit at serving pressure til it is carbonated. You can carb one up fairly quickly if you cold crash it before you keg it. It will absorb more CO2 when it's cold. I'll take mine, pressure to 30 psi, then shake the crap out of it. It's amazing how much CO2 it will absorb in a minute. I'll repeat this process a few times, then leave it hooked up at 30 psi for a few hours. Then drop back to serving pressure and shake again to drop the pressure one last time. Let it sit for a few hours, and it will be carbonated. IT WON'T BE GOOD, but it will be carbonated to some degree. It always takes about three days before I think it's actually got the CO2 correctly absorbed.

Back