Alternative to PWM/SSR for heating elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main issue you will have is oscillation, depending on what you are going to use it for. Boil kettle definitely not a problem for that.

For 32.00 I would order one and give it a run or two. Once you become familiar with the range it offers and how sensitive the adjustments are you can decide if you want to retain it or not. I think it would work fine for a brewing application if you want to avoid all of the pids and sensors. I would however either install a temp guage or build an electronic temp sensor so you can accurately control mash temps. Boiling will be the easy part, but do you have enough element to boil a 5 gallon batch with such a small coil? Maybe 2 might be a better idea and run one wide open and control the temp with the other. Looks super simple to wire in and evaluate for your needs, and you could probably resell it pretty easy if it doesnt meet your needs.

Wheelchair Bob

Back