something stinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had beer ****s but dear god! I've got a Belgian triple, Bavarian hefe, and IPA that is given me the most foul smelling gas I've ever produced! I like my own product just as much as the next guy but this is just to awful I have a little handheld fan just to blow it away. I've experimented with only drinking one type each night and they all do the same. I've used the wyeast smack packs for all three beers and was wondering if anyone else has had the same side effects? I don't want to give up my beer but I'm ruining clothes and furniture. Any insight?

It's the yeast. Common issue for all unfiltered, unpasteurized beer. You can minimize it by clearing your beer as much as possible (cold-crashing, gelatine, isinglass) to remove a lot of the yeast, but there will always be at least a little bit left in the beer, to survive into your intestines and go to work on any residual sugars it finds in your *ahem* "plumbing." The yeast will eat whatever they find, and produce CO2 which will pick up the scent of whatever else is in your "pipes" on its way out.

Pack some granulated carbon in your underwear. Or a catalytic converter - I wonder if there are personal models?

Yea, it's the yeast. Try clearing your beer better (cold crashing, gelatin, more time, secondary, or mechanical filtration). Put bottles in fridge a week before drinking them and then pour carefully to leave all the yeast in the bottle.

Back