Milled grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingskone

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of a company/website where I can buy pre-milled grains in bulk. I'm looking for 50lbs bags. I am looking at brewing at bit more at home but don't want to deal with buying and using a mill at home.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Most places will allow you to place a big order and have it milled. You're probably not going to get it in the same bag, but that may or may not matter to you. Just check the prices on the usual suspects for grains you want, Northern Brewer, Rebel Brewer, Austin Homebrew, and such. See who offers the best prices.

I know you probably already know this, but make sure to keep your milled malt airtight and use it quickly. More than a month after milling and it may already be noticeably less flavorful than it was when fresh.

If you have a good local shop, that might be the best way to go, however. Most shops will let you buy a bag, store it at home, and drop in to mill what you want as you need it.

I personally would avoid milled grain in that amount unless you plan on using it all within a month or so. (Whole grains will last a lot longer in storage.) Also most sites will charge extra to mill that much which might totally offset any savings by buying bulk.

Check out a LHBS, many will sell bulk grain and allow you to bring your grains back to be milled when needed.

You can mill with a Corona style mill - $20 - $50

Back