Starter Speculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennywisest

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

Recently I bottle harvested yeast from two 16.9oz bottles of Ayinger Brau-Weisse. As I was stepping up the batch I must have been distracted and added WAY too much dme. My starter wort was in the 1.080s. The yeast fermented out and it smelled more peppery/clovey and a little "hot". A touch of banana was still noticeable, but it smelled way more peppery almost like a Saison.

I am looking for any advice/experience/guidance with what the final outcome of my yeast will be. Did I mutate it? Will it be nothing like the orginal yeast? Just really reaching out for any speculation on the outcome, this was my first attempt at bottle harvesting.

Thank you.

I could not find any definite answer to wether Ayinger uses a bottle condition only yeast for the Brau Weisse. When I stepped it up from the dregs to 500ml it smelled just like a Hefe so I believe it was the actual fermenting yeast.

Back