Safe lager 34/70 temp vs pitching rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hello I have ordered 10 packs of 34/70 and can get more if needed. I will be doing 2 11.5 gallon batches and wanted to use 5 packs of yeast for each batch, rehydrated of course. Here is my dilemma, I used mr malty for my dry yeast calculations and I plan on pitching cool. This calculation has me pitching about 55 grams per 11.5 gallons. When I looked at the fermentis instructions PDF it says at 48f or 9c I need 200-300 grams per hectoliter or roughly double what I am planning to pitch ratio wise.

Now the ideal temp listed is 54 f, and the pitching rate would be okay, but 54 f is too high for me.....I'm sure commercially under pressure that temp is fine but not at my level.

Would 50 degrees be good or should I stay at the 48 range? I have good temperature control. If I do go with a lower temperature, does the rate of 80 grams for 11.5 gallons seem crazy?

This is for a 1.050 beer. Thanks

Honestly I've never paid attention to that note at the top of the spec-sheet. It does seem a little crazy to more than double the pitch rate for an ~8F temperature drop. All I can offer is my experience with following the pitching rates on mrmalty and even more extreme temperatures. I usually start at 44F and slowly ramp up to about 50F over 2-3 days. I've never had any problems. Fermentation starts within 24 to 48 hours and it ferments really clean.

Going to pitch 5 packs for each 11 gallons at 47 and ramp slowly to 50 over a few days. Any chance of an overpitch here? That's like 58 grams or almost 5 grams a gallon!

Because I don't want to get into measuring partial packs and am fine with getting "close enough" I've been pitching 2 11.5 gram packs into 5.5 gallon batches - typically around 1.050 also. Depending on the date, 5 packs is very reasonable for your specs. For a lager that you're wanting to be very clean, modest overpitching should not cause any problems.

Because I don't want to get into measuring partial packs and am fine with getting "close enough" I've been pitching 2 11.5 gram packs into 5.5 gallon batches - typically around 1.050 also. Depending on the date, 5 packs is very reasonable for your specs. For a lager that you're wanting to be very clean, modest overpitching should not cause any problems.

I appreciate it. Thanks

4 or 5 packs should be good for each 11.5gal batch. I usually do 2 packs (I don't even rehydrate) in 5.5gals of 1.06ish wort at 48F and usually have activity the next day

Latest posts

Back