Looking for some lager advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
Last Friday was Brew #30 and my first lager. It was Jamil's Bohemian Pilsner, OG was 1.062, pitched a rehydrated packet of Saflager S23 onto 58° wort, then placed the carboy into a freezer that had been stabilized at 50° for 2 days prior. It took about 2 days to see a healthy krausen on top of the wort.

Here's my dilemma - on Sunday I travel out of town for 12 days. I feel comfortable having my wife or brew partner adjust the STC-1000 controller, but don't feel comfortable having either of them rack into a secondary fermenter.

My question is, should I be concerned about a diacetyl rest this early, or should I let it run through a three week initial fermentation before making any temperature adjustments for either diacetyl rest or lager, or raking onto secondary? I was hoping to have it lagering while I was out of town, but due to a delay in my brew day and the timing of the yeast, I have no intentions of pushing it faster than it needs to go.

Sounds like you might be rushing things a bit to me. Here is my schedule for brewing lagers.
3 weeks in primary at 50 degrees
3 (ish) days D-rest low to mid 60's
Lager in the keg for 8-12 weeks in the upper 30's in my keg fridge

If I am seeing your timeline correctly, your 12 day trip is still within the 3 week primary time-frame. If that is the case (or close to it) I would just leave it go, D-rest when you get home. Then transfer and lager it.

Your hydrometer, not your calendar, should be your tool for timing the stages of brewing.

(1) you underpitched your lager. You will likely be okay, but next time using a pitching rate calculator and follow its advice.

(2) S-23 is not a big fan of cool temperatures and many have found that to get it to finish off strong you should raise temps once you are in the mid-1.020's. I would certainly advocate doing that in your case (doubles as a d-rest).

(3) If you have someone at home who you trust to adjust your temp controller, have them watch the beer when you are gone and once the krausen drops, have them boost the temp to about 60. S-23 is still nice and clean at that temperature, and your flavour profile will have been established at that point anyway.

Good luck!

it's a bit of a pickle. you underpitched so a d-rest before reaching final gravity is probably a good idea. once the krausen starts to fall (this should happen about 7 days after brew day), you could start your d-rest and condition it at that temp until you return.

there are different ways to get there.

Thanks for all of the feedback, and I apologize for the delay in responding. I realized as I pitched the yeast that I had probably under pitched. I'm not sure why I was second-guessing basic brewing principles - it must have been the stress of brewing a lager! Ended up having a good steady fermentation,as I was preparing to leave town last month I saw that the krausen was starting to drop. I raised it 1°C on my way out the door, and my wife raised it 1°C every other day for 6 days or so, then dropped it down for the layering phase where it sat for several weeks. I've taken some samples over the last week, and have to say it's quite delicious! A beautiful golden color that you can read a newspaper through, great aroma with no detectable off-flavors, and a crisp and malty flavor. All in all for a first lager, I'd call it a success. Now that I've got a few things dialed in, I'm looking forward to brewing my next lager - an Oktoberfest!

Back