Immersion chiller discoloration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
Not sure if this is anything to be concerned with, probably not. But certain areas of my chiller are a very bright copper color...almost like a surface coated has been removed.

Ideas?

chiller.jpg

when you boil your chiller the last 15-10 minutes, it cleans it. the areas that don't touch the wort go uncleaned. nothing to worry about.

Wort is somewhat acid, and it removes oxidation from the copper. My immersion chiller is a good bit uglier than that, but there are no worries in this department. Some guys get all OCD about it and buy stainless chillers, but whatever.

The acidic wort dissolves the copper oxides that form naturally which is the darker colored stuff. So not a big problem however if your chiller is really discolored it could be leaching too much of bad oxides into your beer. Some being dissolved isn't a big deal. A quick way to clean it is to sit it in star san for a few min. You will see afterward that the oxides will dissolve and be left in the star san.

I get the same thing with my chiller. A 15 minute soak in Star San before going into the wort does the trick.

Back