Consistently High Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I have gotten some crazy high attenuation numbers recently. My last 2 runs with the Chimay yeast, and my latest dubbel with the Lueven Pale have gotten 90% attenuation. I got 80% with my last run of 1968, which isn't outrageous but high for the strain. I mashed these in the normal range 152-154. The dubbel and the chimay blonde got a little sugar (5%), but the others had all malt grain bills. ''ve had high number with my saisons too, but I used 3711 so they don't count. I assume the possible explanations are...

- inaccurate thermometer
- over-pitching
- infection

I don't have any off flavors associated with infection, but I suppose its possible. I can check my thermometer, but I feel like I did recently and it was on target. As for over-pitching, I'm using stored slurry and assuming a cell count of 1B cells per ml when I calculate my starters. I used that number based on Woodland's experiments with slurry counts. Maybe that assumption is too low?

Ugh. Looks like my thermometer has been off. Measures 33 for ice water, but 216 at a boil. So much for my malty dubbel... But at least it explains things. Buying a new probe on amazon today.

Back