Constant boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababooey

Reaction score
I recently built a hop spider for my keggle and have used it twice. The first time was great but I only had one hop addition. Last Sunday I brewed an IPA and after my 30 minute addition I was battling a potential boil over the rest of the time. Did I do something wrong? Should you remove the hop spider in between hop additions? Anybody out there ever experience this? I appreciate any feedback.

Maybe you should turn the heat down a tad? Once I get the wort boiling, I don't need as much heat to keep it boiling so I turn it down. You may need to feather your throttle a bit around your additions (down right at addition and up once it settles down).

Thanks guys. I'll try lowering the heat next week when I try my mosaic SMaSH.

I tried fermcaps today. No boil over and no more foam over when I aerate w pump. Just a few drops.

In addition to turning down the heat as needed, I also keep a spray bottle containing plain water nearby when I boil. Spraying water atop the foam during the hot break seems to help.

In addition to turning down the heat as needed, I also keep a spray bottle containing plain water nearby when I boil. Spraying water atop the foam during the hot break seems to help.

that's me... spraying like a freaking madman to keep ahead of the boilover

On this particular brew day I went through about 4 spray bottles. I was constantly spraying it. On the bright side, it was a tremendous forearm workout

So I'm brewing again today. As soon as I started to boil after my FWH addition it started to go crazy. I sprayed it down with water and lowered the heat a bunch as one of you suggested and now it's perfect. Thanks so much guys. Hoping this mosaic IPA turns out good.

Latest posts

Back