Father's Day BrewBQ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyGooglenerd

Reaction score
I know Father's Day is suppose to be relaxing, but I have other plans this year. Being a recent addition to the hobby, this is my first FD as a homebrewer and by god I'm going to do what the 'Eff I want!!!!

So, in this state of madness, I've been thinking how I can do 2 AG brews (Deathmuncher's Dunkle and BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde) on the same day as well as a 10lb butt for evening vittles! I'm a backyard BBQ'er and I use the Smokinator on a Weber kettle for kick ass BBQ...but I degress. 2 AGs in one day? and...BBQ??? Seems unreachable! Am I nuts?

I've done both batches on my equipment successfully (god they are good) so I'm not concerned with ability, I'm concerned with timing. But, I'll work it out...brewing your own beer rocks! Although, it's work...it 'Effin ROCKS!

Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's out there...hell, happy day to all of us homebrewers!

:mug:

I have no idea what BBQing entails for you (everyone has their own definition) but 2 brews in a day is certainly possible. A 5g batch takes the same time as a 5bbl batch, so go for it! Just write a schedule if you're worried about the timing. That way, you can drink all day and totally ignore the schedule so you won't care about it.

I plan on this rub for the butt:

6 Tbs brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp ground mustard
3/8 tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black and white pepper
1 tsp cayenne

I'll smoke with apple wood. On the smoker at 7am, along with the dunkle mash water.

1.5L WLP380 starter was begun tonight for the dunkle, Blonde gets the Notty. Gonna tap .5L of the starter for a yeast wash for the next dunkle.

Gonna mash the dunkle first, get that in the kettle and mash the blonde while the dunkle is boiling and the butt smokin'

Weather is suppose to be nice for central KY on Sunday...

Happy daze!

6 Tbs brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp ground mustard
3/8 tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne

I'll smoke with apple wood. On the smoker at 7am, along with the dunkle mash water.

1.5L WLP380 starter was begun tonight for the dunkle, Blonde gets the Notty. Gonna tap .5L of the starter for a yeast wash for the next dunkle.

Gonna mash the dunkle first, get that in the kettle and mash the blonde while the dunkle is boiling and the butt smokin'

Weather is suppose to be nice for central KY on Sunday...

Happy daze!

It's a long drive from PA to KY or I'd be there. After all, they do call us Pennsyltuckey in MD and DE.

Unfortunatly, I'm a poor planner and am out of both the dunkle and blonde...got plenty of BMC! BTW, I'm bottling them both from the last batch on Saturday but that doesn't help for Sunday...I need to brew more...

6 Tbs brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp ground mustard
3/8 tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne

i do like a good butt-rub from the wife after sitting on it all day. oops... wrong kind.. I MEAN SOUNDS DELICIOUS :ban:

2 ag's in 1 day and smoking meat is seriously ambitious, but possible. i won't do more than 1 ag and smoking a brisket ( or similar ) in 1 day

family knows that is MY day, and what i do that day is not to be argued

GAH...love some me some brisket from the smokinator...

Thinking about it now, I'll BIAB the dunkle and fire the strike water for the cooler MLT blonde once the dunkle is mashing. I'll shoot for 150-152F on both but they'll drift. RDWHAHB for both of them on mash temp because it'll be what it'll be...good beer regardless. I might add a quart or two of 190F+ water along the way to the blonde mash just to keep it rolling till the boil kettle is available...

I'm hoping my PM Berlin Wheat is ready to bottle today. Wanna brew the second batch of same on FD. def gunna pit bbq somethin...maybe one of momma's pork roasts.
Here's a savory rub I make for bbq'd roasts like beef or pork;
1tsp salt
1TBSP onion powder
2tsp garlic powder
1/2tsp course black pepper
red pepper to taste
1TBSP dried parsley

This is my first Father's Day as a Father. I'm planning on brewing Northern Brewer's The Innkeeper, the all-grain one. And I'll probably be grilling something, maybe some lamb chops.

Easily doable FD plan. Just keep the libations to a minimum, or you may just leave out 5 lbs of grain on your second batch. Not speaking from experience at all or anything.

This is my first Father's Day as a Father. I'm planning on brewing Northern Brewer's The Innkeeper, the all-grain one. And I'll probably be grilling something, maybe some lamb chops.

THis is my first Father's Day as a homebrewer :)

Having my brother and father over to brew a BM Centennial Blonde. My first AG.

I have smoked a butt and brewed each of the past two weekends. Not a double batch, but obviously it can be done.

I'm brewing ~40 gallons with a couple buddies on Saturday and was just contemplating adding rib smoking to the mix.

I enjoy double brew days! Last weekend I did four batches. Three all grain and one extract. Did them in sets of two with lunch in between. Took it slow, could've gone quicker but I wanted it to be relaxing and it was. I started at 7:30 am and had everything thing cleaned up by 6pm. It's totally doable for a double brew day!:) if you can, overlap them! As you're boiling the first batch, begin mashing the second. That's how I did it and it saves a couple of hours. Have a great Father's Day!

Last Fathers Day... I did a "Brew-BQ" I didn't do 2 brews...but doubled up on the meat. It was a fun day. I have to work this year :(

2012-03-29111351.jpg

Nice looking BrewBQ going there Bama! You have some nice looking butts hanging around your patio! I'll have to remember to line up a pic like that!

So, in this state of madness, I've been thinking how I can do 2 AG brews (Deathmuncher's Dunkle and BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde) on the same day as well as a 10lb butt for evening vittles! I'm a backyard BBQ'er and I use the Smokinator on a Weber kettle for kick ass BBQ...but I degress. 2 AGs in one day? and...BBQ??? Seems unreachable! Am I nuts?

Timing is everything.... Borrow an extra kettle and burner if you can. If you can't get an extra burner - your stovetop should suffice for heating strike/sparge water.

Set up and get the first batch going.

Get the strike water for your second batch measured out and up to temperature while the mash of the first batch is underway.

Once the first batch is in the kettle and heating to the boil - get the mash tun cleaned out and the second batch in the mash.

Now you have your first boil and second mash going concurrently. Chill the first and get the second into the boil. You've now cut close to two hours of your brew day.

I did this process last week to get three lagers done last Saturday (~8 hours start to finish), and another 2 on Sunday (~6 hours).

I don't know how your BBQ is set up, but mine is essentially set it and forget it - making the day even easier.

I'm planning a double batch tomorrow as well - A Coffee amber ale and a citra IPA. Going to be heating strike water by 6 and hope to be done and cleaned up by noon.

Well, I'm gonna chicken out a bit here and say if I get the dunkle in and the 6pm vittles done it'll be a good day! I can't waste a starter so the dunkle goes down but the blonde is a game day call...Yahtzee! Go Big Blue!

Woke up at 5 to get started - the wife who is now just a week away from her due date rolls over and tells me we are likely headed to the hospital this morning. I guess the brewing will have to wait.

Now that will be an awesome fathers day gift. Keep us posted. Hope all goes well.

Well,it's rainin again. Not sure about bbq yet. Cleaned up this morning after yesterdays bottling day. Got 53 bottles of PM Berlin Wheat. Gunna brew the other BW kit today.

Apparently I am very plan because I wanted to relax on Father's Day. so my short cut is brewing a centennial blonde for my 2 and 5 yr old boys party in 3 weeks (adults only beverage no police please). And smoking a turkey. Turkey has been in a brine since Friday

Back