Bavarian Hefe Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
Looking to brew a "franzi" like hefe and I think the water I am currently using is causing some issues. I would like to get the water profile used in this region for this beer.....

Any suggestions on how to find a good water profile to use with the appropriate minerals to add to distilled water for this beer type?

Thanks

Looking to brew a "franzi" like hefe and I think the water I am currently using is causing some issues. I would like to get the water profile used in this region for this beer.....

Any suggestions on how to find a good water profile to use with the appropriate minerals to add to distilled water for this beer type?

Thanks

Go here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Also, this speadsheet is very useful and has a BUNCH of preloaded H20 profiles from all over the world. I did a Vienna Lager and was able to correct my RO to the Vienna profile using it. It seems a bit intimidating at first, but honestly, H20 Chemistry can just seem that way. In the end, it's not. You'll need 3 things (in all likelihood) Epsom Salt, Calcium Chloride, and Gypsum.
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

The 'boiled' Munich profile in Bru'n Water would be somewhat reflective of water used in the Bavarian region that is home to a lot of Weizen breweries. Be aware that the bicarbonate content would typically be further reduced through acidification with lactic acid.

Hefeweizens are brewed all over Germany (and elsewhere) with widely varying water supplies. Given that the ones I like best use the Wiehenstephan yeast and originated near Munich it appears to me that a decarbonated Isar like water would be best and that's what I essentially use: RO with a small amount of calcium chloride.

Hefeweizens are brewed all over Germany (and elsewhere) with widely varying water supplies. Given that the ones I like best use the Wiehenstephan yeast and originated near Munich it appears to me that a decarbonated Isar like water would be best and that's what I essentially use: RO with a small amount of calcium chloride.

AJ can you expand on that - what is a small amount?
So if I have 10 Gallons of Distilled water how much cal chloride would I use?

thanks !

2-4 grams per gallon. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for your personal taste.

2g/gallon yields you 255ppm of Chloride, Which is pretty high. I use .5g/gallon, but I also get Calcium from Gypsum. I do think it's a good idea to start small, but as AJ says here "experiment to see what works best for your personal taste".

Scroll down the Water Adjustment sheet and you will see a big table of the water profiles. All of them are user adjustable, so if you don't like the numbers I include, you can change them. You should make sure you balance them when changing things, though.

2g/gallon yields you 255ppm of Chloride, Which is pretty high. I use .5g/gallon, but I also get Calcium from Gypsum. I do think it's a good idea to start small, but as AJ says here "experiment to see what works best for your personal taste".

A.J. left out a 5 and an 's'. That should have been 2 - 4 grams per FIVE gallons. 0.4 - 0.8 grams per gallon is much more reasonable. It is a good idea to start small and I believe Weizens benefit from pretty soft water but as I said in the earlier post they are made with all kinds of water. Warner's monograph had nothing to say about the water used for this style.

He explicitly writes that a broad range of water profiles are utilized and are perfectly acceptable, contributing to the local character of each weissbier. I believe he only comments that a biological acidification is used when necessary.

Back