First timer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeav

Reaction score
This past weekend we made out first batch. Its looking like theres a lot of activity going on and we will be bottling this weekend. Looking forward to getting another batch going after this one is bottled! Any tips you can lend to a couple of beginers would be greatly appreciated!

This past weekend we made out first batch. Its looking like theres a lot of activity going on and we will be bottling this weekend. Looking forward to getting another batch going after this one is bottled! Any tips you can lend to a couple of beginers would be greatly appreciated!

You brewed last week and you're bottling already? Might want to pause on that. Need to make absolutely sure fermentation is complete, verified by a hydrometer, or else you could be in for bottle-bombs.

tre9er said:
You brewed last week and you're bottling already? Might want to pause on that. Need to make absolutely sure fermentation is complete, verified by a hydrometer, or else you could be in for bottle-bombs.

Thats our plan, were going to check it with the hydrometer on sunday, that will be 8 days. And hopefully be bottleing on monday.

First and most important tip: do not rush it! I would highly suggest letting this sit for at least 2 weeks before you even open the fermenter and think about bottling.

Even though your instructions probably tell you it will take 5-7 days to ferment, your yeast work at their own speed. Bottling early is bad for many reasons. First is that if it is not finished, it will continue to produce co2 in the capped bottle. With no exit port, the pressure will build in the bottle and it can explode. Second, new beer is bad beer. Beer takes time to condition and allow flavors the blend and mellow. As you're seeing, fermentation is messy. Yeast make some funky compounds and need time to break them down and for the beer to become good.

Only way to know when you can bottle is once fermentation is complete. Only way to know when that is is to measure the gravity with a hydrometer. Once it's the same a few days apart, you can bottle away. This may take 5 days, it may take 5 weeks.

Hardest thing to do on your first few beers is be patient enough with them. I promise it will be worth it! In the meantime, research new styles and buy some craft beer! Welcome to the obsession! Er...hobby

Okay so first piece of advice is do not bottle at 8 days!

Start brewing another batch instead and let the first one ride for at least 10-14 days and then check gravity to be sure it is at final gravity, then give it a week to clear, then bottle.

All this leads to my second bit of advice-be patient! Rushing a beer results in a crappy beer or bottle bombs due to incomplete fermentation.

And my final bit of advice is again-BE PATIENT!

measure the gravity with a hydrometer. Once it's the same a few days apart, you can bottle

This^

Take at least two readings, 2 days or more apart, and make sure they're the same, at the same temp, too. If the second is lower, you're still fermenting. Wait 2-3 more days then take another reading.

Thank you for the tips...yes i was going off what the directions were saying so thats why i figured i would check at the 8 day mark. I will wait...definitly dont want to be messing up my first batch. Glad i joined this!

kentvd said:
Hi everyone, I'm a marketing student at CSUSB College and I'm helping a new brewery open its doors. They asked me if I can help collect some information from Beer drinkers and this looks like a perfect place for that. If you want to help startup a new brewery, please take this 5 Minute survey to help them get started. Thank you so much for your help.

https://csusbcbpa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_a2SXEYParLzmrOJ

Sorry, tried to do the survey but since I don't live where you are I've never visited any of the listed breweries so it wouldn't let me finish:(

Back