All Grain Top Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreads_2006

Reaction score
Recently I brewed an all grain Dark Ale and was a bit out with my OG so I added some dried malt to bring it up to the correct OG, the beer turned out great, just seeing if anyone has any other ideas or is this how most do it?

Many people do this. Now you just have to figure out why your efficiency was low and/or adjust your recipe to compensate for it next time.

Just wondering about this. You said your OG was a bit out and since you added more malt I assume it was low. So when you add more malt did you have to re-boil or just add dry malt and continue with the fermentation? Or was this a pre boil measurement. Just wondering in the event I ever needed to do this.

I haven't done AG brewing yet so just curious of the process.

The dried malt was added after the boil was complete and just stirred through to bring my OG up to where it was meant to be, and to be honest it worked perfectly, it turned to be one of my favourite beers. However I would have preferred to have gotten my consistency right in the first place.

Back