Some fun facts about people on the forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things you don't know about me:

• I grew up as an Army brat and have been to 49 states.
  • I was a lawyer for almost 25 years before I had a stroke -the stroke left me with an extremely painful neurological disorder that has no cure or even an effective treatment.
  • Homebrewing has literally saved my life by giving me a hobby that distracts me from the pain.
  • I like my dog better than I like most people.
  • I carry a gun.
  • I was an altar boy for a priest who years later got sued for sexually abusing altar boys - apparently I was not a very cute child.

I started brewing in '08, I play bass (for fun, not in a band),
I like my old Massey Ferguson 135 tractor, My wife and I raise Nubian goats,
We like to go to various brew pubs, whenever possible,
We have a few favorite brew pubs that we go to a lot, I am a structural designer looking forward to retirement...

I've played golf with my father, his college (U.S.M.A.) roommate, and his roommate's son, only to learn thirty year's later that the son was at that time the drummer for The Talking Heads.

Psycho Golfer,
Qu'est Que C'est
Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away

/sorry, couldn't help it

Let's see:

• Currently hungover at work (not too badly though) thanks to some Cinco de Mayo beers/shots with a buddy
  • Went skydiving twice. Second time I injured my back, ultimately blowing out a disc in my lower spine. No more skydiving for me :(
  • Am an "ordained minister" (one of those online deals) / Have performed a marriage ceremony
  • Distant descendant of US President Polk and also of an axe murderer (okay, it was technically a hatchet)
  • My grandfather helped to invent fireproof rubber boot soles for the Apollo space missions as well as some rubber self-sticking (no adhesive) insulating tape to help prevent more Apollo 13 spark-inducing accidents

-I'm 46 with 3 kids. Two boys aged 23 and 19
-My 4 year old daughter passed away last year from complications that transpired during labour and delivery
-I also have a 2 year old daughter.
-In a previous life (the 90's) I was a youth pastor in a Conservative Mennonite Church
-I drove a 1968 VW Beetle for 18 years and learned basic mechanics out of necessity

I'm an avid juggler -- I can juggle 9 balls, among other juggling "accomplishments".
I have my BS in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics from UCLA.
I'm 29 and have to take beta-blockers, even though I'm healthy, not overweight and follow a low sodium diet.

1) Why am I here?

2) What is the meaning of life?

1) Likely because microbes were seeded on planet earth 4 billion years ago from a piece of Mars.

2) Easy: "Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

Let's see. I have BA degrees in English and French as well as my teacher certification. I also have a MS degree in education technology. Given this educational background it should come as no surprise that I do not teach. I am currently employed as a software developer.

I am significantly 'over-chicked'.

I brew tons of beer, but rarely the style I best like (IPA). This is due to the overwhelming clamor from friends for specific styles that they prefer (Pale Ale, Stout, Wheat).

I started brewing many years ago after my father-in-law got me a tremendously crappy home-brew kit from Costco or something. The beer was abysmal, but the interest had been ignited. Years later and I've invested thousands in my rig and finally can say I produce some decent beer on a regular basis.

I have made EVERY SINGLE mistake a home-brewer can make. several times.

Somethings you may not know.

I like to homebrew, actually it's a hobby of mine.
I also like to fish and hunt, the hunting part is getting increasingly more difficult to do here in the Bay Area.
I'm a diehard Giants and 49ers fan.
I've been married to a wonderful woman for 5 years this year.

TNGabe said:
I only have one goal in life and it is learning to country-western yodel.

Most of my relatives are quite old, and musically inclined. At a family reunion last year, they set up and provided the music, including good yodeling. :)

I am more comfortable in a speedo than just about any other article of clothing.

I am an ordained minister in the state of California, though I've never set foot in Cali and haven't been to church in some years.

I believe everything I read on the internet is true, if I want it to be.

I have an extra lumbar vertebrae in my spine, which causes me some lower back pain. I have a theory that my twin brother is missing one accordingly, explaining why he has always been slightly shorter than me. We have not as yet verified this with a doctor.

I just got 2 questions for you.

1) Why am I here?

2) What is the meaning of life?

Oh, and the answer to the question of the meaning of life, the universe, and everything is exactly 42.

You're welcome.

;)

I'm 29 and have been with my beautiful wife for 9 years, married the last two.
We have 8 month old boy-girl twins who provide us more love, joy and laughter than I've had in the past 28.3 years combined.
I'm an audiologist and love the fact that I get to help people reconnect with their friends and family on a daily basis, making going to the office each day extremely rewarding.

Oh, and I brew beer and drink it. :D

I like to ballroom dance. We are not so good at at anymore. Dance lessons was part of the courtship of my wife to be. No one else in our circle of friends wanted to go dancing, except me. We started out free form dancing at the bars, and then on to the ballroom lessons, and next thing you know it we're engaged. That was 25 yrs ago.

We had the same teacher in E. Lansing, Michigan, and then 6 yrs later in Sunnyvale, CA.

I also used to be a pretty good cross country ski racer. That has fallen by the wayside as I haven't lived anywhere with any reliable snow since leaving MI

I have travelled the world, crossed part of the Sahara desert on a camel, moved from the UK to the USA.

What most people don't know about me:
I'm 53 been married 13 years. Married into an instant family of 4 teenagers, all grown now and have 2 grandchildren and a third one on the way.

I reload ammunition, leatherwork, tie fishing flies, build fishing lures (spinners, spoons and others), cast soft plastic baits, lots and lots of reading and my secret: I like to do Cross Stitching.

What most people don't know:

I competed as a natural bodybuilder for two years

....and now I brew

I'm 39 and have been working at the same job for 21 years.

I got my job thru my high school co-op program.

By boss and I graduated from the same high school (10 years apart), got our jobs thru the same co-op program, and had the same drafting teacher.

I got him into brewing beer.

My wife has won a medal for brewing and I have not. (she did use all of my stuff thou).

Some might know this already from the Tats thread, but I am absolutely wild about soup. If I had a tattoo it would just be the word soup on my keister.

Not one but two of my ex-girlfriends have been happily married to women for several years.

I'm the grouchiest person I know.

I have a morbid fascination with fetishes, including the relative few I dont share myself.

I dread the words "come see me play at (venue) on Saturday!" I've made it a point of not befriending actors or musicians for this reason.

My fear of heights borders on psychotic. I don't even like being 5'9.

Among the stories about me that usually get a reaction:

1) As an Army brat, I lived in Panama for 3 years, and was bitten by a small Boa Constrictor snake (because I stepped on it) while walking my dog at night... in socks. I was in 3rd grade.

2) I skydived regularly for a few years, and did a naked jump with some friends, including a female. Yes, things flap in the breeze.

3) For Halloween several years ago I dressed as a slut (female). I am a (straight) guy, with hairy arms, legs, chest, and a mustache. I did not shave anything. I wore a mini skirt and tight tank top, lace bra (to contain my perfect D-cups), lace thong panties, a curly blonde wig, and lovely make-up. As I and my "bodyguards" (friends who kept drunk homophobes from kicking my a$$), went from bar to bar, I actually had a couple guys come up to me and admit that they took a double-take at my t!ts before realizing that I was a guy in drag! I was honored!

After surviving all that, I now have a beautiful 12-yo daughter that I am very proud of, and a wonderful swmbo that lets me sleep in the house when I don't obsess about beer and brewing.

Eins, zwei, g'suffa! :mug:

You probably don't know that I went to college in Fairbanks, Alaska where I worked as the Zamboni driver in the school's ice rink.

During the summer I worked 100+ hour weeks at a salmon cannery in Ekuk, Alaska. It was probably 10 years before I would touch canned salmon.

My parent's never paid a dime towards my college.

Kind of a fun read about some of my new friends on HBT.

You might not know that I am:

• a husband of nearly 28 years
  • a father of 3
  • a chiropractor
  • an outdoorsman
  • convinced that quality far out-strips quantity in life. That is why I refuse to eat fast food or drink crappy beer.

Somethings you may not know.

I like to homebrew, actually it's a hobby of mine.
I also like to fish and hunt, the hunting part is getting increasingly more difficult to do here in the Bay Area.
I'm a diehard Giants and 49ers fan.
I've been married to a wonderful woman for 5 years this year.

Man, you sound like a brother from another mother! We're not too far apart; I live in Dublin. But I've taken to hunting mostly out of state these days.

Back