Trappist High Gravity yeast for MWS Noble Trappist kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VampireSix

Reaction score
I brewed Midwest Supplies Noble Trappist all-grain kit a week and a half ago, pitching a starter of Wyeast 3787 into oxygenated wort at 1.058 OG. Sample from yesterday showed SG at 1.012, within finishing range, but there is still yeast in suspension and a bit floating on top (so I know it's not completely finished yet).

This is my first dabble into making a Belgian style beer, and I was raising temperatures with my fermentation chamber trying to get some fruity character out of the yeast. So far, though, I don't really detect much fruitiness, just a hint of spice.

My temperature schedule was 68F post-pitch, held until blow-off tube activity settled down, then raised 1 degree F each day until 74F

4/21 - 68F (brew day)
4/22 - 68F (no activity)
4/23 - 68F (blow off tube active)
4/24 - 70F (activity greatly diminished)
4/25 - 71F (no activity)
4/26 - 72F
4/27 - 73F
4/28 - 74F
4/29 - 74F
4/30 - 74F
5/1 - 74F (sample taken)

Did I not raise my temperatures high enough, or quick enough, to get the slight fruitiness I was wanting? Would raising temperatures now do anything?

Also, I'm guessing this kit qualifies more toward a Belgian Pale Ale... the color is more of a light golden than the dark copper color the kit indicates it should be.

I don't know if my experience will help, but I am just starting to drink bottles of the batch I made with MW Noble Trappist extract kit, my first batch of homebrew ever. It is delicious, nicely carbonated, and with fairly nice lacing. I didn't get a whole lot of estery character, but understand that higher temps at the start can help achieve that. (Someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in and correct my memory if necessary.)

Mine came out a kind of light russet color. After 2 weeks, it was at 1.012, and three days later was at 1.010. I did a secondary fermentation, which I understand was unnecessary, but the clarity is nice.

From doing a little reading, I am guessing that it would be called an Enkel beer, if that term were really still much in use. (Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Next time I'm planning to do a Trippel or Dubbel from either MW or Northern Brewer. I would prefer a higher alcohol, more complex brew (although this one doesn't have a *simple* flavor profile), but am really enjoying this one. Hope you do, too!

the only thing i might have done is raise the temps faster and a little earlier. looks like your fermentation was mostly done in 24 hours (on the 23rd), which isn't surprising since this is a relatively small beer by belgian standards.

the fact that it is a smaller belgian also likely contributed to the lack of strong yeast flavors. there just wasn't as much for the yeast to eat, and thereby create by-products with. most belgians are big beers, it's harder to get those flavors in a smaller beer.

how big was your starter, and how fresh was the yeast? (date on the pack). yeast produce a lot of flavors during the initial reproductive phase (lag phase), if you pitched a lot of yeast they wouldn't have needed to multiply as much and hence less flavor.

Thanks Sweetcell. I'll try raising temperatures earlier next time.

The yeast was probably a month old, and I made a starter according to yeastcalc.com. I'd heard about intentionally under-pitching for a Belgian. For my first Belgian, though, I wanted to play with fermentation temps and limit other variables.

I've used that yeast 4-5 times. I always start with a 64°F ambient temp for 2 days. I then raise 2°F per day until the mid 70's. It can be a slow starter and sometimes takes awhile to finish the higher gravity brews. I lager when done for 3-4 weeks because it takes that long to floc out.

Thanks Sweetcell. I'll try raising temperatures earlier next time.

The yeast was probably a month old, and I made a starter according to yeastcalc.com. I'd heard about intentionally under-pitching for a Belgian. For my first Belgian, though, I wanted to play with fermentation temps and limit other variables.
yeah, maybe start ramping a day earlier. don't start too soon, tho, first 48 hours at 68 is just about perfect.

if you experiment with under-pitching, go easy. like 10% less than what is recommended. i've read of people pitching half as much yeast as suggested, and then they wonder why their fermentation is stuck at 1.030...

The 3787 is the Westmalle Yeast and probably one of the lower "fruity" belgians out there.

Try 1214 for more fruitiness. WLP 500 (same yeast) I like WLP 575 which is a blend which makes a very interesting flavor in lower gravity belgians.

Back