sierra nevada hoptimum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
has anyone here tried it yet? I got 3 24oz bottles right now and im cooling one in the fridge to enjoy in a few hours. What do you guys think? From what I know, this is a very limited beer. If I like what I taste later, i'm gonna pick up more before they're gone forever.

I thought it was outstanding. In fact, I just got back from a trip to the bottle store over lunch to pick up a few more bottles. I drank the first bottle about a week and a half ago during my inaugural brew day, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. :p

I tend to prefer my DIPA's a bit more balanced (not a big Pliny fan) and this fit the bill for me. If you've had the Deschutes Hop Henge, I thought it was kind of similar to that (although I haven't had them side by side).

:mug:

Brett

i just did a review and posted it on youtube...check it out if you guys want. give me a break though cause I dont really do reviews :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's fantastic. Cost is 9.00 a bottle where I live. It has an amazing ruby red grapefruit hop flavor. Intense and delicious. Definitely my favorite SN beer.

I agree, it is fantastic. Hoppy...a beautiful red/amber...smells great. It was a great beer. I put one away in the "cellar" for later...but am considering having it tonight.

I picked it up with an Abyss and Black Ops...and by far, the best of the three. Enjoy that hop bomb, sir.

I got to try it this weekend at the World Beer fest in Columbia, SC at Sierra Nevada's booth. It was great. I can't wait to get some!

yeah man, go get some...im still gonna get more, i only have 2 bottles left now and I have to save one for my wife :( :D so i'm gonna grab a few more tomorrow.

I had a bottle this weekend, it was really good. A sweeter, more syrupy IPA but with a big hop flavor. I'd recommend it for fans of DFH 90 Minute.

My shops are out and I missed the bus. If anyone wants to trade a bottle or two for something I can get around here, please let me know. Thanks!

I got one sitting in my fridge,I was surprised to find it, but now is the time to drink it when its fresh. Ive noticed the Estate ale get less intense since it was out in( October i think it was) but it was really good fresh. Another great beer im shure.

Picked up a couple bottles at around $9 ea. - drank one last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed. I picked up some SN Torpedo at the same time (which I also found quite good). Got back to the bottle shop this morning and only saw one left on the shelf (next to a few dozen DFH My Antonia and Sah'Tea that don't seem to have an audience in my area). If you like hops and find a place to buy, I'd highly recommend picking up a handful.

Bought a bottle yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly!

It only cost me $7.99 + tax, I would have paid more.

im down for a trade, what can you get around your parts?

I stumbled upon a hole in the wall liquor shop that had all sorts of cool stuff. 2010 Bigfoot, Celebration in bombers, all sorts of cool rarities and Hoptimum. Thanks for the offer.

But I'm always down for trading. The highlights around here are Founders, Bells, Goose Island, Jolly Pumpkin, Southern Tier, Great Lakes...

I stumbled upon a hole in the wall liquor shop that had all sorts of cool stuff. 2010 Bigfoot, Celebration in bombers, all sorts of cool rarities and Hoptimum. Thanks for the offer.

But I'm always down for trading. The highlights around here are Founders, Bells, Goose Island, Jolly Pumpkin, Southern Tier, Great Lakes...

its really hard to get a hold of bells and founders here. Let me know if there's something you can't get or want that, maybe I can get a hold of it here in cali. Really wanna try out KBS and hopslam

Nice review. Dude, I thought you were about to spill beer onto your laptop there when you were showing off the foam...

haha, I never thought about that when I was doing it. Good thing I didn't, i would've cried if I spilled some on this thing. I love my alienware...this has to be the best laptop i've ever owned.

its really hard to get a hold of bells and founders here. Let me know if there's something you can't get or want that, maybe I can get a hold of it here in cali. Really wanna try out KBS and hopslam

trade ya a hopslam for a pliney. can't find pliney around here and I'm dying for a taste.

alright, lets do it...I already got a trade in the works but the more the better :D what else can you get??

I live about a block away from the largest beverage store in Ohio, he seems to have damn near everything except pliney and hoptimum. name something and I'll check to see if its there. Bovineblitz I didn't forget about you, sending you a hopslam as well :mug:

I live about a block away from the largest beverage store in Ohio, he seems to have damn near everything except pliney and hoptimum. name something and I'll check to see if its there. Bovineblitz I didn't forget about you, sending you a hopslam as well :mug:

great divide, seasonal stuff from founders, three floyds, surly...does your store have a website??

I had one of these yesterday, i thought it was very, very good. Huge grapefruit and citrus flavor. Aroma was a little less then I expected, it was there, but more subtle then I figured it would be. The beer was very "hot" for lack of a better term though. The 10.4 ABV is quite apparent with every sip. I think it would have been better served to be 9% or or even a little less. That all being said, I don't think I would buy another, I think Torpedo is a better overall product at a much more reasonable price.

Just picked this up with "ale hoppo muco" as part of my "byo six pack"

Cant wait to try it tonight.... Funny thing is I'm typically not a IPA fan.

It's a solid beer... I've heard the same thing from other non-IPA favorites and they still enjoyed the beer.

Yes it was very good. I wasn't prepared for how much of a kick it had but still very tasty. It seemed much more flavorful and a bit more bitter then the "ale hopo mucho" even though both claim to be 100 IBU

Oh man, found a 4 pack of 12oz at a bottle shop in Portland for 10$, drank 2 and had a good buzz going.
It is a great beer and I would love to make a batch of it, need to find a good extract clone recipe though.
What grains would i use to get that orange color? That's the color I want my next iipa to be.

Oh man, found a 4 pack of 12oz at a bottle shop in Portland for 10$, drank 2 and had a good buzz going.
It is a great beer and I would love to make a batch of it, need to find a good extract clone recipe though.
What grains would i use to get that orange color? That's the color I want my next iipa to be.

Check out their website when you have a moment. Rumor is that SN is very good to homebrewers and are open with their brewing techniques and recipes etc.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/high-altitude/hoptimum-imperial-ipa/

Looks like they use 2-row, Golden Promise, Munich and Wheat

so i got to try SN APA, Torpedoed, and hoptomum back to back to back...

I liked the APA, and the hoptomum the most. Stay away from the torpedoed... it tasted very earthy to me and didn't really have any bite, bitter or maltyness..

Back